MacBook Pro Water Damage and AppleCare

Reaction score
A few nights ago someone accidentally spilled water on my MacBook Pro Retina 13". However, I did not realize it until the following morning but I noticed that there was primarily water under the MacBook and not on the keyboard. It turned on initially but I shut it down right away and put it in a bag of rice where it currently is right now. I have not yet tried to turn it back on. Is there anything else I can do? Should I open it up and inspect the inside for damage? Also, does AppleCare cover water damage? I checked online and I only have the 1 year warranty but it allows me to buy AppleCare for $250. If I bought it now and then went into the Apple Store at a later date, would they know when the damage occurred? Just wondering. Trying to avoid any huge charges because I'm a freshman in college. Thanks for any help.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think you are out of luck as far as AppleCare is concerned. If I recall correctly it typically does not cover water damage. AFAIK every Apple device made in the last several years has had a means of detecting whether the device has been subjected to water damage.

OP
T
Reaction score
It said it covers accidental damage on the website...maybe that includes water damage? And I know they can detect whether it occurred, but would they have a means of knowing when it occurred? Say if I were to buy the AppleCare now (assuming it covers water damage which I'm not sure on)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't think their detectors can tell them when the water damage occurred but that is probably not relevant.

I found this exclusion to the U.S. edition of AppleCare which leads me to believe it wouldn't be covered regardless. I'm not sure if the restrictions are the same outside the U.S.
(ii) Damage caused by (a) a product that is not the Covered Equipment (b) accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause, (c) operating the Covered Equipment outside the permitted or intended uses described by the manufacturer, or (d) service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”);

APP Mac - North America English

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It said it covers accidental damage on the website...maybe that includes water damage?

Unless Applecare specifics have changed…Applecare on computers doesn't cover accidents (at least in the US)…and definitely doesn't cover water damage.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Nor does AppleCare cover physical damage, including liquid damage, in the UK, and as far as I'm aware, anywhere. As already stated, it doesn't matter when the damage happened, liquid damage isn't covered. Do you have household contents insurance you can claim on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
Apple should buy shares in the rice industry. I've read of so many people sticking their wet Apple products in bags of the stuff.

Fingers crossed for you, Tfavre. Yeah, you could open it up and inspect it, but if the liquid actually got into the machine...well, it's never a good mix and it never ends well. It's not just Apple, it's any electronics product.
Re Apple Care extension: I always get it, if finances allow. It may help you, if other things go wrong - but (as others have pointed out) it won't cover you for liquid damage.

Good luck.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Apple should buy shares in the rice industry.

Maybe so. Ha ha!:)

I think that I've seen/read more "rice in a bag" success's for smaller devices like iPods & iPhones…than I have for computers. But I too wish anyone trying it (regardless of device)…lots of luck that it works.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
For what it's worth, water damage on a PCB is easy to spot. Even without the detector pads.

Reaction score
Neither original warranty nor AppleCare has ever covered liquid spill damage to their laptops. In fact, until about 3 years ago Apple would not even accept core returns of a liquid damaged part, meaning repairs would cost full price for a new logic board instead of trade-in price - a difference of as much as $400 for some MLBs.

When a person in the district spills on their Mac portable, (and I am, frankly, disgusted with how often this occurs...) I completely disassemble the machine and treat each component to cleaning with 91% isopropyl alcohol to buffer any corroding elements of the spilled liquid, blow dry with compressed air, then pack all parts in desiccant for 48 hours. Sometimes we manage to dodge a bullet and pull a working machine out of the accident. Sometimes not.

Not surprisingly, the primary factor for successful recovery seems to be how soon after the spill the item makes it to my repair station. Second most prevalent factor is, of course, what was spilled. Plain water is most benign, fruit juices among the worst.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.