Web developer

Reaction score
i am teaching myself web development and I was wondering if that was any free software for macs, that is equal or similar to notepad for the Mac? Thank you in advance

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There are a whole host of editors that will do the job for you (tip: stay away from plain text editors such as Notepad). A few to get you started: Brackets, TextMate, TextWrangler, Sublime or Chocolat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I started off using Brackets and moved to Coda when I was well on my way to knowing HTML5, CSS3 and .js
Its a clean and easy to navigate UI . . .

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm still on Brackets especially since I found an FTP plugin that works with it. How's Coda Brent?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I'm still on Brackets especially since I found an FTP plugin that works with it. How's Coda Brent?

I really like it. As with most editors, it has its own cool features, but I really like how I can Block Edit as many lines as I want to, also when I preview my Web Page, if something is off, say something in your Header, you can Right click on it, and then Jump to Style> and choose the one you need to fix. Saves a heck of a lot of time searching for it.
iaAYTfi.png

There is also some cool plugins, or add-ons like a Map Generator, that lives in the Sidebar. If you wish to show a Address you can do so via this Map Generator, tweak it, then Generate, and all the code is Auto Generated for you, and nothing else to be done.
Too much to go into detail with, but its the little things, that make it a pleasure to code in. You can also use the Simulators to check the Responsiveness of you pages on anything from a iPhone4s to iPad Air 2 and ALL Browsers.
Oh it also has its own builtin documentation for all the syntax it covers, but I use the Dash Plugin. You can also browse CSS Styles inline if you want.

I do like that I can sit back on my iPad Air 2 and play around in Diet Coda, or just use it as a Live Preview . . . I'm happy with it :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
There are a whole host of editors that will do the job for you (tip: stay away from plain text editors such as Notepad). A few to get you started: Brackets, TextMate, TextWrangler, Sublime or Chocolat.

All good, but Sublime (which rocks) is not freeware.. Although TextMate is really, really close.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is also some cool plugins, or add-ons like a Map Generator, that lives in the Sidebar. If you wish to show a Address you can do so via this Map Generator, tweak it, then Generate, and all the code is Auto Generated for you, and nothing else to be done.
That's really cool. That said, and maybe I'm weird in this regard, but I like writing everything myself. There's this sense of satisfaction that I love that comes with writing code from scratch...

All good, but Sublime (which rocks) is not freeware.. Although TextMate is really, really close.
People keep lauding Sublime as if it was the best thing since sliced bread. I haven't tried it but maybe I should (although, with so many good free editors, Sublime is going to have to blow me away).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
People keep lauding Sublime as if it was the best thing since sliced bread. I haven't tried it but maybe I should (although, with so many good free editors, Sublime is going to have to blow me away).

It's the plugins.. well, and for me the search/replace UX, it just works well for me. IS nagware though, so you'll really have as long as you need to decide if it's worth the purchase.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.