Spotlight no longer working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" rMBP 2014, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 2.6GHz i5
I've turned on my Mac this morning and Spotlight no longer works. The keyboard shortcut is doing absolutely nothing.

I've checked in the system preferences and it is enabled. I've checked the keyboard shortcut in the keyboard preferences (that shouldn't have changed overnight!). I've rebooted my Mac.

The only thing I can possibly think of is I installed Onxy last night, and don't remember trying Spotlight since then. I've checked Onxy but cant find any way I could have disabled Spotlight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Is Spotlight available in the Menu Bar (magnifying glass image which open Spotlight Search)?

OP
imfromwales
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It wasn't, but then I enabled the icon in the menu bar and it's now working agin. Is there any way of hiding the icon without disabling it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It seems no as it is part of the System Software not controlled by such a switch in System preferences, such as Bluetooth, Network etc. Just ignore it if it bothers you that much imfromwales but really from Christchurch NZ.

Big Anzac Day Service in Christchurch this morning?

OP
imfromwales
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll have to ignore it then :)

I think there was, a work colleague went to the dawn service, but I was fast asleep! I'm actually from England, which is ironic due to the username, and the fact i'm living in NZ!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.