Moving specific stuff from old HDD to a clean install...

Reaction score
I just got a new internal HDD for my mid-2010 17" MacBook Pro. My old one is kind of bogged down with five years of random downloads, applications, plug-ins, and other things that I'd rather not muck up the new drive with, so I want to do a clean install on the new HDD and move specific things—certain applications, documents, save files, plug-ins, etc.—onto it from my old one. My question is: what's the best way to do this? Migration Assistant is too generalized for what I'm doing.

A few of the major complications include:

(A) I've been holding off on upgrading to newer versions of Mac OS until I got a new HDD, so I could continue using the PowerPC-specific applications on my old one. My old HDD has 10.6.8 installed, and I'd like to keep it as a both a backup drive, and a bootable with Snow Leopard so I can continue using applications that are no longer being updated. For my clean install, though, I want to start fresh with Yosemite.

(B) I do a lot of gaming, so I have a bunch of save files for Steam, Origin, and DRM-free games to find buried somewhere in my HDD; and DLC on top of that. I'm not entirely sure about the ins and outs of getting the various services that all of this requires to recognize this new drive as me.

(C) I have a Boot Camp Windows partition that I'd like to do something relatively similar with. Fortunately, since I only really use it for gaming, there's a lot less clutter there, and a lot fewer files that I really need.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I'd appreciate any kind of advice!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.