Closest to Macbook Air for Travel?

Reaction score
I watch a lot of tech travel bag tips now that my job requires me to be on the go constantly. The issue I'm having right now is most of the reviewers have 11 inch MacBook Airs that are their main computing travel companion. I currently have 13 inch Macbook Pro 2012 and an iPad 3 with a bluetooth Apple Keyboard. I'm obviously not going to shell out a thousand dollars on an Air just for this predicament. Should I travel with the MacBook Pro or the iPad w/keyboard as the substitution for the Macbook Air that I don't own?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Only you can answer that question to be honest. Without knowing what you need to be able to do, it's hard to answer that question.

OP
R
Reaction score
Sorry I should have been more specific. I mainly do media consumption, tons of movies and tv shows and then some video editing and movie clip making. Normally I would instantly say a laptop would be better because of more storage space, but I recently got a 2 TB wireless external hard drive that I can sync with the iPad if I want to. I REALLY want to be as light as possible but I also want options and a laptop will almost always have the upperhand in that. But I'm not too comfortable knowing I have a fragile 1500 dollar device in my bag everyday because of wear and tear.

OP
R
Reaction score
I will also add I have an ipad mini retina with me as well which may make the ipad 3 seem pointless but a 7.9 inches still just doesn't come nearly as close to a notebook size screen like 9.7 does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I am thinking the longer you have a job that requires travel and the more you try out what you have now, you will make the decision as to what works best for you.

It really is a personal preference. I own a 13" MB Air and that would be my choice. I like the 13" screen over the 11" as I like the extra screen real estate. But my choice may not be right for you.

Give it some time and I am sure you will develop a preference that fits you.

Lisa

OP
R
Reaction score
I would really like to carry the Macbook Pro to be honest, but I'm worried about the wear and tear on the device. Will carrying it around in a backpack everyday take a toll on the hardware? It's a bit bulky especially with the Cd drive still there. I just don't want 1500 bucks to go to waste early because of the constant usage while daily being on the go.

OP
R
Reaction score
I'm almost always spending the night in a hotel or a friend's house if they live in the area, so I'm really only at home about 2 or 3 times a week.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would really like to carry the Macbook Pro to be honest, but I'm worried about the wear and tear on the device. Will carrying it around in a backpack everyday take a toll on the hardware?

This is what a laptop computer is built for…for traveling/portability purposes.:) The responsibility is on the user to "do the right thing". Such as remembering that there's a laptop computer in the backpack…and not haphazardly tossing it around (not good for the computer).

And of course having a good backpack…that has a nice soft cushion-lined area for the computer…is a must.:)

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As with any device, proper packing and handling is all you really need. With that in mind, pick the tool that's best for you and given what you've said, I'd go with the notebook option (whatever it happens to be for you).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Anything will get wear and tear with travel. Whether you decide bringing along item A or item B is worth it is a calculated risk only you can make. If you are only home 2-3 days a week then it seems like the MacBook is going to waste just sitting there at home. Personally, I'd bring the laptop and get use out of it, but that's just me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you are only home 2-3 days a week then it seems like the MacBook is going to waste just sitting there at home. Personally, I'd bring the laptop and get use out of it, but that's just me.

Great logic.:)

Seems to me a good rule to follow would be…"The more you're away from home…the more of a full-fledged & capable device you want to have with you."

So:

- Just one day away from home/week = smartPhone
- 2-3 days away from home/week = tablet + smartphone
- 3+ days away from home/week = laptop computer + smartphone

Of course the timing cutoffs are adjustable by the persons needs. But the idea…the longer you're away from home…the more device may be needed for a satisfactory "away from home" electronic experience.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.