Recover Accidental deleted POP E-mail account e-mail

Reaction score
Accidentally deleted a POP e-mail account. When I sat the account back up on iPhone 5, the Inbox was empty, can I recover those lost e-mail that was in the Inbox.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums.

The quick answer is that it depends on HOW you set up the POP account settings. One of the KEY settings for any POP account is to set something called "Leave messages on server". This will be called different things in different places, but the idea is the same. POP usually downloads the emails from the remote server to a local place and removes the entry from the server unless you explicitly tell it NOT to do so.

The downside of using POP in multiple places is keeping everything up to date. If you don't set this flag to keep the messages on the server, then the first device that gets to the server gets the email and no other device does. But if you set the flag, then every device picks up the same email and marks it new and so on.

IMAP is the better way of dealing with email in general.

Anyway, bottomline if set up your POP account and forgot/neglected to set the flag to save the messages on the server, you might have just lost all of your email..

OP
B
Reaction score
Accidental POP Accounts deleted...

Darn! I was afraid that was the case! While the iPhone is set to leave messages on server, most smart phones do leave the messages on server, even when using POP accounts, the person that owns this phone (I am at tech for a local ISP), has a laptop that they check this POP account as well, and I believe that is where the account is POP'ed.

Thanks for the info.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Does your company offer a Web Mail service? If the client has a computer with your ISP, then maybe they can access that way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.