Apple Watch - anyone got one?

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Deliveries are starting around the world. Anyone got one? First impressions?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
PLEASE NOTE: You need only reply if you have an Apple Watch. Discussions about the relative merits of the product, your intentions to buy one, etc. can go elsewhere. Thanks for understanding.

Reaction score
Deliveries are starting around the world. Anyone got one? First impressions?

Yes.

Pros:
- stylish (it really is a good looking watch)
- comfortable
- not that expensive when compared to other HR monitor/watch combo's
- sync & setup was easy
- takes a bit of getting used to in order to navigate, but it's pretty good once u understand it. Everything makes sense
- battery life has been as advertised
- works great w/o phone as a mp3 player for bluetooth headphones
- remote app (oddly one of my favorite apps ever) works great for controlling AppleTV

- does what it is intended to do, or at the very least, what I got it for, which was tracking my health statistics (HR, activity, etc)

CONS:
- lots of trash apps that are built in, that cant be removed from the cluster of apps on screen. This is a REALLY big issue that just about everyone is complaining about

- force touch is kind of wonky. Not sure if I like it yet.

- if ur expecting this device to revolutionize life, it wont. Much like the AppleTV, it's just a simple & well made Apple product that does what its intended to do. Not everything can be the ipod, iphone, or ipad.

What I'd like to see in the Next Version:
- track body temperature
- track sleep habits/quality
- (I'll add to this list as time goes on)

OVERALL:
Im really happy with the product. Of course, Im still new to it and durability issues havent arrisen. But that said, it does what I bought it to do and has nicely replaced my $3000 Tag Heuer POS at a fraction of the price with a ton more capability. I feel I havent even, and nor have app developers, really begun to dig into this devices capabilities.

I just ordered my second Apple Watch.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook 2010 iPad 3 iPad Mini 6th Generation iPod iPhone 5 Apple TV I?Apple
ImageUploadedByMac Forums1431456052.528698.jpg

I received my  Watch on April 27. I love love love!
When setting up I skipped loading all apps and added only what I will use. Made set up quicker.
I have taken calls while at home. Works like a charm! With handoff I can go to my phone for longer calls.
I never miss an iMessage now. Replies are easy! And such fun emojis!
Glances are just that~ I check battery life, sports scores, weather, activity, and SoundHound.
A really cute app is Peek. It allows you to put 5 favorite photos on it instead of your albums.
Name and number app is useful as well allowing you to type a quick name and phone #.
Set up from iPhone is easy !
Waiting now for my friend to get his (June Black sport/ Space grey) can't wait to send a heartbeat or drawing.
I use it as my watch, but love the extras!
JMHO. Wanted to share!

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I received my  Watch on April 27. I love love love!

Is it the camera angle, do you have a very small hand/wrist, or both?? Because that Apple watch on your wrist looks HUGE!!!;)

Congrats. Great to hear that you love your new iWatch!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook 2010 iPad 3 iPad Mini 6th Generation iPod iPhone 5 Apple TV I?Apple
LOL! It's the camera angle! I took the photo with my iPad! Ha! It is the 42mm  Watch. IRL it doesn't look that big!
Thanks!

OP
D

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good to hear from some happy customers! Space Black watches started moving yesterday, so I'm hopeful, but my order still says 'June' at present.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Good to hear from some happy customers! Space Black watches started moving yesterday, so I'm hopeful, but my order still says 'June' at present.

In case you're interested in the availability of iWatches in the UK…you can do a little detective work.;)

I just checked eBay UK…and it seems that there are some iWatches for sale on eBay UK. Of course like many new/hot products from Apple…these eBay sellers are selling them at about a £100 premium.

I'm guessing these folks are the lucky one's who ordered them milliseconds after they became available. And now are looking to make a profit on them (not unusual). Folks have been doing this with new high demand Apple products for a long time (iPads, iPhones, etc.).

And of course Apple.com UK says (if someone ordered one now)…they wouldn't be dispatched until July.:(

I know that you ordered yours the first night they were available…so hopefully it will arrive soon!:)

- Nick

Reaction score

I ordered another one, a stainless steel black. Says it wont ship until July.

By then in-store pickup and possibly in-store purchase should be long available. So I might just cancel my order and get one at my local Apple Store.

This is the first time Ive EVER bought a new Apple product as it came out and if Im being honest, the situation is pretty lame. There is only ONE single retailer in all of the USA that has the watches in stock ready to sell and if bought online it's a 2-3 month wait?????

Furthermore, I bought Apple Store cards from my local Apple Store and the employees told me I'd be able to use them to purchase the watch thru the Apple Store app the moment they became available for pre-order. Well, at 12:01 I tried to put my order in and was in que to get the first wave of shipments only to find out that the app doesnt allow me to pay with cards. It took til 12:04 for the Apple Store website to load and by then I was in que for the May shipment. And by 12:15 all orders were June. And by 12:30 all orders were July shipping. If Apple is going to go this route with new products, I can see why, but they better keep their salesforce more up to date on the process because there was just way too much disinformation about the process/product leading up to the pre-ordering.

OP
D

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just checked eBay UK…and it seems that there are some iWatches for sale on eBay UK. Of course like many new/hot products from Apple…these eBay sellers are selling them at about a £100 premium.

I've waited this long for the model I want. Another 6 weeks max.

I ordered another one, a stainless steel black. Says it wont ship until July.

By then in-store pickup and possibly in-store purchase should be long available. So I might just cancel my order and get one at my local Apple Store.

Based on experience to date I think buying a Space Black in any store except the biggest ones in your country will be very unlikely. I certainly wouldn't cancel your order until you have a watch on your wrist...

This is the first time Ive EVER bought a new Apple product as it came out and if Im being honest, the situation is pretty lame. There is only ONE single retailer in all of the USA that has the watches in stock ready to sell and if bought online it's a 2-3 month wait?????

I think it's reasonable to say that the watch launch has been unique in terms of the logistics involved. I've had the last 4 iPhones on launch day and 3 iPads with no problems at all. The watch launch has been tough for anyone wanting a higher cost option.

Reaction score
Based on experience to date I think buying a Space Black in any store except the biggest ones in your country will be very unlikely. I certainly wouldn't cancel your order until you have a watch on your wrist...

I wont cancel it until then, believe that.

I think it's reasonable to say that the watch launch has been unique in terms of the logistics involved. I've had the last 4 iPhones on launch day and 3 iPads with no problems at all. The watch launch has been tough for anyone wanting a higher cost option.

The Apple Store App was supposed to prevent these logistics issues. By us putting the model's we wanted on our wish list, it was going to tell them how many of each to make.

As for the higher cost options being harder to get, that just isnt true. My mom just ordered her $350 Sport model and it's not shipping until July.

The fact that u have had no issues on previous model launches is encouraging. Maybe this is a isolated issue as they just screwed up this launch of this particular product. I hope so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.