Why have some apps on my Ipad turned into grey box with lines running through it?

Reaction score
3 apps on my ipad have turned from icons into grey boxes with lines in them. When I click on them, they try updating but it doesn't complete. What's going on here? Is this some kind of virus?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
What three apps? Are other apps able to update? Have you tried deleting them and re-downloading them again? What model of iPad do you have and how much free space is left on it?

Post back what you find out.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Excellent! Sometimes it is the simple things that work.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, the good news is I did an update and it went away.....

Hi Oxband - despite Lisa's usual excellent advice, you might want to provide a more thorough description of 'what' you did to resolve this issue. First, I'm assuming that you mean an icon that looks kind of like an old B&W TV test pattern (like the top four shown in the image below) - correct? Now, I had this happen on an iOS upgrade (may have been iOS 6 to 7 - cannot remember), so might help to tell us which iOS you are using; also, did this happen immediately following an update or upgrade?

Second, by 'update', what exactly did you do, i.e. delete & then re-download the apps, update your iOS, or do a 'Restart' or 'Reset'? Others who may be having the same issue will greatly appreciated your more specific input - thanks. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 5.13.40 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.