Yosemite File Sharing Question

Reaction score
Here's my situation... I have a few PC's on my network, that I need to be able to connect to my iMac to access some shared folders.

In the past, I used the OS X Server app to accomplish this, because I was having some issues doing a standard share through the network.

I am about to upgrade to Yosemite, and want to know the best way to share some folders with the PC's on my network. Am I better off to buy the server app(which I'm not using to full potential)? Or should the sharing function work pretty bug free?

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I share folders with a Mac Pro, Windows 7 PC and a Windows Server share drive every day.
What I did -
I shared the drives on the Windows 7 machine

I opened Finder on my Mac Pro, click in the menu bar on Go, scroll down to "connect to server" and use SMB to connect to the other Windows machines. I input my user name and password which matches and is the same for admin password for my Mac and PC computer and gives me access to the server share drive.

I also share out a data drive on the Mac Pro and the Windows PC has no problem accessing it. The share shows up on it.

I will say the Mac will not always mount the drives on restart or waking from sleep mode. I need to script it but for now it is not that big a hassle.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.