Mac Pro will not "sleep" automatically after update and new SSD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I can not figure out why since the last update to Yosemite, my Mac Pro will no longer go to sleep automatically. I have it set to "sleep" after 3 hours.

I bought a new SSD from OWC and made it my boot drive. I used CCC to transfer Yosemite from my Samsung SSD to the new OWC SSD. The Samsung SSD then became my cache drive.

I moved the boot drive then updated to the latest supplemental update to 10.10.3.

I can manually put it to sleep. In energy saver, I have it set for 3 hours (because it gives me time after I get home to remember what I forgot to do on it ;) )

I also have "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" and "Wake for network access" checked. That use to work just fine. I have tried unchecking "Wake for network access" and also closing TeamViewer at the end of the day - although that defeats the purpose of having home access. Neither made any difference anyway.

I have checked my start up and all I have loading is TeamViewer and Google Drive which is exactly what I have always had.

I reset the SMC and the PRAM. Nothing. :Confused:

Any other ideas? I know leaving it on won't hurt but I would like to save a little energy.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
One question Lisa. Did you actually place OWC drive into Bay One?

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, yes the OWC SSD boot drive is in drive bay 1 - now. Originally the start up drive was taped under the dvd burner and attached to the second sata cable. I purchased a tray for it and now it is still mounted in the 2nd dvd bay but in a tray.

I had a 1TB hard drive for data in bay 1 and I put the OWC boot drive in bay 2. It would automatically sleep when it was in drive bay 2.

I swapped the data drive in bay 1 for the OWC boot drive in bay 2. So now the OWC boot drive is in bay 1 and the 1TB data drive is in bay 2. And automatic sleep no longer works.

Since this was all done at the same time: add OWC drive, changed boot drive to OWC drive, updated to 10.10.3 supplimental, and swapped bays 1 & 2. Maybe she is confused??

I could swap the two bay drives and see what happens?

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sexist thing Lisa. We all know Mac Pro are big, powerful, muscled hims so he is sulking!!!!

Give it a try and see if swapping makes any difference.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I plan to today. If it works I would love to figure out why it makes a difference. I will post back with what happens.

AND all my computers get girl names - mainly because we girls work hard but can be particular. ;) Maybe that is the issue? I am dealing with a boy computer? Hmmmmm..... I may test that theory too. ;)

Lisa

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still have the problem. It will not sleep and when I left for home yesterday, I manually put it to sleep. When I got to work, is was no longer sleeping and I had 10 messages of "Disk not ejected properly". I know where that came from but no idea why so many warnings. I have installed a Inateck 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card. If I forget to dismount and shut off the drive attached to it I get that error. I have not had it repeat like that before nor have I had any issues with the drive.

So what I have tried:

Switched the location of the boot drive to bay 1 - nothing changed
Shut down TeamViewer - no difference
Unchecked wake for network access - nothing
Moved the boot drive back to bay 1 - no difference

All this happened as best I can narrow down to when I installed the 10.10.3 supplemental update.

I wonder if there is some switch that got changed in the process. I just hate to do anything drastic to have to fix this but I also don't want to have to shut it off at night.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just a thought here.....

Maybe go back in time before the supplemental update and then download the 10.10.3 combo update which should include the supplemental. Not sure if that will work but as long as your backups are up to date, you should be able to reverse the process in case things don't work out.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can try that. I have Time Machine backups. I will give it a shot on Monday. I will have time to mess with it more then as we have a couple of big events this weekend.

I left today and made sure the drive attached to the USB 3.0 card was off and put it to sleep manually. We shall see if it stays asleep.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh well your super muscled Mac Pro 'Arnie' will have to get used to being called 'Annette' I guess poor fellow lol!

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahhh Harry - I actually looked at my Mac Pro the other day and I swear it told me it's name is Sylvia. :D

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.