No longer seeing iCloud folders

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Hi,

I've been using iCloud Drive since Yosemite and iOS 8 came out with success. On my iPad and iPhone I use GoodReader to read PDF files. It has created an application folder in iCloud name 'GoodReader' when I used the app to upload some PDFs.

In the past, I did something on my MBP to get this folder to show under iCloud Drive in Finder. I noticed today that this folder is no longer visible as I wanted to upload some more PDFs (I have done this successfully from my MBP in the past). The application folder still exists in iCloud Drive, and I can access it from my iOS devices or iCloud.com.

Does anyone know how to get iCloud Drive folders to show in Finder?

I now have 3.4GB of files in iCloud, some which are probably my only copy. Interestingly, if I search for specific files they are found, and breadcrumbs at the bottom of Finder do show iCloud Drive > GoodReader and then down into the file structure I've created. But I can't simply navigate to them like I used to.

Any suggestions gladly received!

OP
D

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I have managed to recover the situation. The first thing I did was to find where the files were hidden in my computer; I did this by showing hidden files using a Terminal command, then doing a search to locate a distinct file I new was in iCloud Drive. I then used 'Reveal in Finder' to show me where the files were buried. I copied the full tree just in case, but I needn't have worried overly.

Once I was comfortable I couldn't lose my files I then used System Preferences > iCloud and unchecked 'iCloud Drive.' This warned me that all iCloud files would be removed, but that was OK. I then rebooted my Mac, went back into iCloud System Preferences and re-checked 'iCloud Drive'.

Initially there was no visible activity but clearly my Mac was downloading the files in the background as folders started to appear in Finder after a little while. It loaded all my Pages and Numbers files, then it started on the PDFs in the 'GoodReader' folder. Phew!

The only pain is I need to re-download 3.4GB of files by going through this process.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.