Strange Battery problem

Reaction score
Morning all. I recently purchased a 2010 macbook pro online. Used. My first mac and I wanted to go inexpensive just to try it out. Came without battery. Will run off ac just fine once a reset the board. Bought a knock off battery online from a company that gets pretty good reviews. Once the battery is plugged into the Macbook I have no power at all. No lights on the magsafe and no lights on the macbook. Take the battery out, reset, and it fires right up. I understand the apple stuff doesn't like 3rd party hardware. I ive read it can be difficult making the macbook recognize the battery. But I haven't read a posting involving these same symptoms. Any ideas?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Morning all. I recently purchased a 2010 macbook pro online. Used.

Once the battery is plugged into the Macbook I have no power at all. No lights on the magsafe and no lights on the macbook. Take the battery out, reset, and it fires right up. I understand the apple stuff doesn't like 3rd party hardware. I ive read it can be difficult making the macbook recognize the battery. But I haven't read a posting involving these same symptoms. Any ideas?

One idea that shouldn't be over looked. This computer may have had preexisting problems when you purchased it.

Since it came without a battery…this used computer was not capable of being fully tested before purchase. If it had a battery installed when you were examining it before purchase…this issue may have been present…and it may have altered your decision to purchase it.

Just something to be aware of, and consider.:)

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Sorry. SMC reset. Did the removable battery one... Because it has a removable battery. Heh. Strange. No battery and the thing fires right up. As soon as the battery is installed. Nothing. Not even an the indicator on the power supply lights up. The whole circuit just dies. And piggoo that's kind of what I'm wondering. Not worried about getting ripped of by the online seller. You get what you pay for. I just want to use the thing for a few months to make sure I enjoy macs enough to switch. If I thought I just got unlucky with the battery Id get a new one. Probably and actual apple product. If I thought it would make the thing usable for a few months. If the symptoms point to a logic board issue I might just have to make due with ac power.. Thanks in advance!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.