Re-Install without losing everything?...

S

shoude77

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I can reinstall my system without losing my apps, emails, bookmarks and everything... It look like I have some problems with the OS but I don't have time to clean install my computer.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Yes, whenever you boot from the CD and are looking at the install dialog, you'll see an option for "Archive and Install". This backs up everything in your Home folder into a new folder called "Old System" (or something). Then you'll have to put everything back into place yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Just choose the "Archive and Install" option.

Before you resort to reinstalling the OS, there are plenty of other steps and options to try, including but not limited to:
Repairing Permissions
Running a Disk Repair from the install CD
a simple restart
reinstall of whatever application is giving the most problems
etc. etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 Unibody, HK Speakers and a Wacom A5 Wide tablet
D3v1L80Y said:
Just choose the "Archive and Install" option.

Before you resort to reinstalling the OS, there are plenty of other steps and options to try, including but not limited to:
Repairing Permissions
Running a Disk Repair from the install CD
a simple restart
reinstall of whatever application is giving the most problems
etc. etc.

How do you run the disk repair from the install disk? (I've got Tiger 10.4 on the disk that came with my PowerBook)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
randomfactor said:
How do you run the disk repair from the install disk? (I've got Tiger 10.4 on the disk that came with my PowerBook)

boot from your install disks (hold down c when starting up i think) look through the menu's and you will find disk utility, select your drive and click repair permissions

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.