Need help in safely moving itunes library to external HD

Reaction score
I have an early 2009 24" imac with an internal 1TB HDD and 8GB Ram running OSX Yosemite. My "About This Mac" shows that on my internal HD I have only 14.41GB of free space left. I have approx 390GB of items in my iTunes Media folder on this drive (I have a lot of video). I just bought a 5TB external HD and thought I could move iTunes onto it to free up almost 40% of my HD.

I (unfortunately) followed some instructions I found on a YouTube video to move iTunes onto an external HD but either I did something wrong or the instructions were incorrect. I believe I was very careful to follow the instructions as presented in the video. Anyway, I was hoping someone on here could walk me thru the steps I need to follow in order to do this. I should not have fooled around following unknown authors of YouTube videos and following their instructions. I should have come to this forum sooner as it took me a few days to figure out how to get my iTunes library back into working and up to date condition.

Of note, my iTunes Media folder is not in the same directory or path that my other iTunes library files are in.

iTunes Media folder path:
Macintosh HD/Users/"my name"/Public/iTunes Media

iTunes artwork and library files etc folder path:
Macintosh HD/Users/"my name"/Music/iTunes

I'm wondering if this is something I have moved in the past (bad memory) or is this normal for them not to be in the same folder (likely the second one); /Music/iTunes ???

I appreciate any help you can give me!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.