• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

French lawmakers OK bill to force open iTunes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
anybody else watching this in the news?

"PARIS - France’s lower house of parliament passed a law Tuesday that could challenge Apple Computer Inc.’s dominance of the online digital music market by making it open its iTunes store to portable music players other than Apple iPods.

French officials said the law is aimed at preventing any single media-playing operating system, such as Apple’s iTunes or Microsoft Corp.’s Windows Media Player, from building a grip on the digital online music retail market.

“These clauses, which we hope will be taken up by other countries, notably at the European level, should prevent the emergence of a monopoly in the supply of online culture,” Richard Cazenave and Bernard Carayon, National Assembly deputies from the ruling UMP party, said in a statement on Tuesday."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11943799/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I hope it goes through and they do the same here in America. Having the iPod be the ONLY Mp3 player that works with iTunes is so Micro$oft of Apple.

Yea, yea, they're out to make money, blah blah... :mac:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
iTunes does work with other mp3 players.

K

Kokopelli

Far more likely Apple will pull iTunes out of the French market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
rman said:
iTunes does work with other mp3 players.

Well then what's the fuss about?

*Reads further down in the article*

Oh, sorry. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
Kokopelli said:
Far more likely Apple will pull iTunes out of the French market.
Id second that why would they effectively allow piracy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
inflexion said:
Id second that why would they effectively allow piracy?

Piracy is rampant already. The people that don't pirate music are either *gasp* honest or just to stupid and lazy to spend the minimal effort it takes to find and illegally download the music that they want. (** edit, as some seem unable to understand this, this isn't advocation piracy, it's saying piracy is easy and you'd have to be stupid or lazy not to be able to figure out how to do it if you wanted to. Nor is it saying that anyone that doesn't pirate music is stupid or lazy.)

In my experience, just about the only thing that DRM does is make it difficult for legitimate music purchasers to use the product they purchased in the way that they want to. The French law recognizes that.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
dan828 said:
In my experience, just about the only thing that DRM does is make it difficult for legitimate music purchasers to use the product they purchased in the way that they want to. The French law recognizes that.
How is that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
dan828 said:
Piracy is rampant already. The people that don't pirate music are either *gasp* honest or just to stupid and lazy to spend the minimal effort it takes to find and illegally download the music that they want.

I'm not lazy, or stupid. But A) if you want really support an artist, buying their CD is a much better way, and B) the *legal* stuff I've downloaded off of Bittorrent doesn't have the sound quality I get off of a CD (granted I also have my entire collection encoded in Apple Lossless and run my iPod through an amp with PocketDock).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 15" PowerBook 1.3Ghz, 1gb, 120gb hd
rman said:
How is that?

Well, how about apple not letting you burn your downloaded music onto an mp3 cd. My aunt is trying to do this to play in her car, but the only way to do it is by a big conversion process. This is stupid, she paid for it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
mblphnlvr said:
Well, how about apple not letting you burn your downloaded music onto an mp3 cd. My aunt is trying to do this to play in her car, but the only way to do it is by a big conversion process. This is stupid, she paid for it!

I can burn my Downloaded stuff to a CD...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
T

Tiranis

When you buy music from iTunes you don't buy the music itself, you buy the file that contains the music together with DRM. That's the agreement you make with Apple when purchasing a song. Nobody forces you to shop at iTMS, but if you do, you have no right to complain since you agreed with Apple's terms.

Apple never promised you a full rights to the song with all the priveleges, they promised you a AAC file with DRM. That's what you got. If you're not happy with that, don't buy it—simple as that.

If I buy a car that runs on gas, I won't expect it to start running on water (oxygen, diesel, etc.) all of a sudden.

Reaction score
Dan828. [Snip] You claim people who don't pirate music are stupid or lazy. How about being, *gasp* as you say, honest. I have the money, so I can buy the CDs, or the tracks off iTunes. If I don't have the money, I won't buy the CDs, but I certainly won't go out and pirate the music just because I'm either too tight to spend my money on legit purchases or because I don't mind stealing.

Copying music is exactly the same as shoplifting or any other theft, it's just easier. By not buying an artists music, the company that owns the copyright, and who pays the artist, don't get the money. In turn that will reflect on said artists popularity via sales and chart positions, and, as is seen quite often, may affect how they are treated in the future by their record company, lowering the chance of the artist releasing more quality work.

I buy tracks off of iTunes and I haven't found the DRM restrictive in the slightest, I play it on multiple machines, my iPod and the CD player in my car. That's all I want to do with it.

So if the French gov decide that Apple have to make their DRM open to other players, as will MS and anyone else, then I don't blame them for pulling out of France. The French complain about almost everything anyway :)

K

Kokopelli

chuckalicious there is no need for insulting other members. I happen to disagree with Dan828 on this as well but I don't feel it reflects upon his intelligence.

Dan828 what rampant piracy shows is that given the opportunity a large number of people will do something that they know is illegal. Another significant part of the populace believe it is not even illegal. (Yes copyright law varies from county to country, I am discussing U.S. and French law since the stance seems clear in those two countries.) Finally quite a few do not find it morally incorrect though I do. What DRM as Apple does is makes the user aware that unfettered sharing is not the intent of the seller (ITMS) nor the right of the buyer. It does not restrict you very much for legitmite uses.

mblphnlvr, yes an MP3 CD does require some hoops to go through to make from music purchased at ITMS. Why not simply burn a music CD instead? You can fit less tracks on each CD, but is that a big deal? Further you are converting from lossy to lossy format, which is not a good thing to do regardless of DRM. If your aunt really has her heart set on making a MP3 CD that is lower quality, but with more songs, create a new thread.

Reaction score
Kokopelli said:
chuckalicious there is no need for insulting other members. I happen to disagree with Dan828 on this as well but I don't feel it relfects upon his intelligence.

Normally I'd agree, but that comment really got my back up. Thinking that only stupid or lazy people don't pirate music does suggest his intelligence, and morals, are somewhat lacking.

I suppose he's probably just a kid, but hey, he's still a moron :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
chuckalicious said:
Dan828. You're a moron. Simple. You claim people who don't pirate music are stupid or lazy. How about being, *gasp* as you say, honest. I have the money, so I can buy the CDs, or the tracks off iTunes. If I don't have the money, I won't buy the CDs, but I certainly won't go out and pirate the music just because I'm either too tight to spend my money on legit purchases or because I don't mind stealing.

Copying music is exactly the same as shoplifting or any other theft, it's just easier. By not buying an artists music, the company that owns the copyright, and who pays the artist, don't get the money. In turn that will reflect on said artists popularity via sales and chart positions, and, as is seen quite often, may affect how they are treated in the future by their record company, lowering the chance of the artist releasing more quality work.

I buy tracks off of iTunes and I haven't found the DRM restrictive in the slightest, I play it on multiple machines, my iPod and the CD player in my car. That's all I want to do with it.

So if the French gov decide that Apple have to make their DRM open to other players, as will MS and anyone else, then I don't blame them for pulling out of France. The French complain about almost everything anyway :)

And

chuckalicious said:
Normally I'd agree, but that comment really got my back up. Thinking that only stupid or lazy people don't pirate music does suggest his intelligence, and morals, are somewhat lacking.

I suppose he's probably just a kid, but hey, he's still a moron :)

Read what I posted. I said, that people that want to pirate but can't are stupid and lazy, because it is very easy to do, but that other people are honest and buy their music.

Before you go and calling people names, why not know what you are talking about first? It certainly says quit a lot about your personality that you feel the need to call names first, without even understanding what it was that you read. I never advocated piracy. I was suggesting that DRM only serves to prevent people that legitimately purchase music from using their products, while pirates have it easy. The name calling isn't necessary.

For the others here, we have the reputation buttons for a reason. If you feel that the above behavior isn't appropriate, you can give chuckalicious negative reputation if you think it's deserved.

Reaction score
OKay Dan, I'm not going to argue over this, but this line, from your post:

"The people that don't pirate music are either *gasp* honest or just to stupid and lazy to spend the minimal effort it takes to find and illegally download the music that they want."

The way that reads suggests that your'e lazy and/or stupid if you don't pirate music. If you meant "those that want to pirate, but can't" then please post that, and it may have saved this little outburst :) Bypassing DRM is not the same as downloading illegally. Bypassing DRM would be burning the track to CD and then re-ripping in another format.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
chuckalicious said:
OKay Dan, I'm not going to argue over this, but this line, from your post:

"The people that don't pirate music are either *gasp* honest or just to stupid and lazy to spend the minimal effort it takes to find and illegally download the music that they want."

The way that reads suggests that your'e lazy and/or stupid if you don't pirate music. If you meant "those that want to pirate, but can't" then please post that, and it may have saved this little outburst :) Bypassing DRM is not the same as downloading illegally. Bypassing DRM would be burning the track to CD and then re-ripping in another format.

Fine, how about asking for clarification then instead of calling someone a moron? There is no reason to behave that way.

Reaction score
dan828 said:
Fine, how about asking for clarification then instead of calling someone a moron? There is no reason to behave that way.

Ok folks, we're opening this one up to all of you. Regardless of whether I was out of line or not, how does his original post read?

Does it suggest that anyone who doesn't download music is stupid/lazy, or does it suggest that people who want to pirate DRM'd music but don't know how are stupid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.