• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

French lawmakers OK bill to force open iTunes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Ok, there really should not be arguing or name calling on the thread, that is against forum rules, I will not respond to how the thread read, I would just kindly ask both of you to stop bickering with each other about a statement that really does not need clarification. After reading it I know where I stand and so do the other members but there is no need to have a vote for it, or to constantly argue with each other. We know what you said and we also know what you meant, that should be the end of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
Someone posted that all DRM did was make it difficult for legit users to use their music. I couldn't agree with this more.

The first big realization of how big a rip off DRM is was when I lost about 40 ebooks (that I paid for) when I bought a new PDA. *Some* of this was laziness, but I had ebooks from a half dozen different sources - some allowed a new download some didn't and frankly it wasn't worth my time to go back and figure out where I bought what so I could download a book that I had already read - and none of them would work on the new PDA.

I've since found a place that sells ebooks without DRM, but only along the lines of fantasy / sci-fi (www.baen.com). I buy all my ebooks there. I do not, except in very rare instances, buy ebooks with DRM anymore.

I do like iTunes, in fact I love it, BUT this problem will eventually come up and bite pretty much every iTunes user out there. One day, you will probably lose most or all of your iTunes library - whether its next year or 20 years from now. You will not be able to recover it by re-downloading, and there is no really good way to archive it. You also cannot sell it, or trade it in for credit a la many used CD / DVD stores. As far as I know, you also cannot insure it like you can a record or CD collection. You can only burn a song so many times to a CD. Basically, iTunes is great as long as you use an iPod, but if anything happens to the iPod line in the future (like, being legislated into oblivion) you could lose the use of literally thousands in music purchases.

Which is why my sympathy is on the side of the pirates and anti-DMCA types, cracking their protection codes. It's through their work that DRM media becomes somewhat practical. If you really want to copy your stuff, you can, even though DMCA makes it illegal to copy your own purchased music from places like iTunes.

Reaction score
How does iTunes react if you burn the library to a CD/DVD just as files using Toast or something? When you copy those back, will iTunes play them?

I guess it's like anything, you should really back up what you deem important.

Either way, DRM is restrictive, which it's supposed to be, but it's not particularly restrictive to those who want to pirate it.

How do you propose they do ensure that people who buy music downloads don't pirate them by sharing them? It's pretty clear you can't just trust them not to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
This thread is locked. Feel free to restart if everyone can act with maturity.

Name calling and personal insults will not be tolerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.