Original iMac Max Memory?

M

mog538

I have just bought a G3 233MHz iMac with 96Mb of memory. As i understand it they came with 32Mb as standard and i assume the previous owner added 64Mb.

If I take these two out can I use a 128Mb PC133 chip from my AMD based PC?

Is 128Mb the maximum amount of memory I can put in this mac?

Thanks for all your help, I hope this dip in the water entices me to jump right into mac - world, I'm sick of windows and I think I will enjoy my stay here!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
No you can't use those memory sticks
The bondi blue imac (your model) uses PC66 144pin SO-DIMMs

If you have the Rev A. You have a max of 256
Rev B. has a 512 max
Apple has a max of 128

im not exactly sure where you would check for the revision

OP
M

mog538

Thanks for the quick response. You lost me when you say apple has a max of 128.

Time to go price shopping for so-dimms by the looks of it!

I think (if i remember correct from my brief pc selling days) the code on the base of the imac's should have the revision letter at the end of it.

Just checked my local pc store and the closest match they have is:

SO DIMM 128 MB PC 100 (LAPTOP MEMORY) - copied from their webpage.

Will the faster memory be ok in the mac?

OP
J

jerodhusvar

mog538 said:
SO DIMM 128 MB PC 100 (LAPTOP MEMORY) - copied from their webpage.

Will the faster memory be ok in the mac?

People are going to get sick of my posting about this company, but go to www.fastermacs.com. They have a system configuration tool that will tell you exactly which memory your machine needs. I tried putting in PC100 SO-DIMM's in my iMac and it didn't work. I ended up buying the memory from fastermacs. They really do seem to have the best prices, too.

Jerod

OP
M

mog538

That site reccommends PC100 memory for iMacs, now I'm really confused. Time to email apple I think.

OP
J

jerodhusvar

mog538 said:
That site reccommends PC100 memory for iMacs, now I'm really confused. Time to email apple I think.

Hmmm... maybe try, I think it is www.applehistory.com. They have information and specs on all older apple systems.

I think don't know that my problem was that I was using PC100 memory, it may have just been the wrong type of memory out of the laptop I pulled it from. I only tried one stick, it could have been a bad stick, too. :) But I know that when I bought the right stuff from fastermacs, it worked (well, duh, of course it did, Jerod!) :rolleyes:

The other thing you can do is to get a part number for the memory from fastermacs and then go to www.pricewatch.com and see if you can get it cheaper there.

Jerod

OP
M

mog538

Thanks for your help Jerod, I have found a place in the UK that sells the correct memory and for a pretty good price, I think.

Once I get my Mac and find out what version it is I will see how much more memory I can add to it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.