Can I change how Icons behave when I'm dragging them into a folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, OSX 10.8.5
I have a Mac Pro, running OS X 10.8, and I admit I kind of dread dragging files into a folder that's in a window on the desktop in list view. As I drag over the window's contents, there's all this flashing going on, I can't find my target folder quickly enough so that it, or some other folder near it, doesn't open up covering the area where I was dragging it to, and if I do drop it faster, the result is I frequently drop it in the wrong place because the highlighted target folder, or a file shown inside that folder (they are all madly flashing on and off as I zero-in) "un-highlights" the instant before I let off the mouse button to drop it in. Then I have to go looking for the file, because it went somewhere else.

Man, do I sound like a lunatic?
I deal with this daily, but don't know how to verbalize it. I'd appreciate any chance to tame this "extra-helpful" interface light show with a preference setting or other tweak.

Thanks in advance!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are you talking about how the folders "spring open" when you hover over them with a file you're dragging?

If so…go to:

- the Finder/desktop
- then Finder Preferences
- General tab

Here you will find a setting for "spring-loaded folders". You can either choose to turn this setting off completely…or slow down the "spring-open" rate.

HTH,:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, OSX 10.8.5
Spring-Loaded Folders

Nick,
Yes, that definitely helps! Thanks.
I had been looking in system preferences, and never found any setting.
I just turned the spring-loaded folders completely off, and this has really simplified the function.

;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.