Slow Wireless

Reaction score
I have a Mac Pro, and the wireless internet is moving very slow, 7mbps. I have tested the signal on my iphone from the same spot, and get 50+mbps. Could this be a problem with my hardware?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have a Mac Pro tower or are you referring to a MacBook Pro? If the latter, take it somewhere that has free WiFi and run the same test with it. Of course if it's the heavy desktop Mac Pro, not possible to do that. When you tested the download speed with your iPhone, were you testing from the same WiFi network that you use for your Mac?

OP
K
Reaction score
Mac Pro is a tower. Just tested again with a macbook laptop and am able to get 75+mbps but the Mac Pro tower sitting next to the laptop is only able to get 6mpbs, both on the same wireless network.

Would like to have a few guesses to what the issue could potentially be before I take it to the shop and they try to charge me 500 american smackers.

Do you have a Mac Pro tower or are you referring to a MacBook Pro? If the latter, take it somewhere that has free WiFi and run the same test with it. Of course if it's the heavy desktop Mac Pro, not possible to do that. When you tested the download speed with your iPhone, were you testing from the same WiFi network that you use for your Mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The first thing to do with the Mac Pro is to open System Preferences, Network and check all your settings to make sure they're OK. You can compare them with your MacBook settings. You could also try deleting your network on the Mac Pro and then setup a new one to see if that helps. The last thing to try would be swapping out the Airport Card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And boy is that a fiddly job changing the card if you have strangler's hands like mine. The G5 PowerMac Dual Core late 2005 models were worse as they had an Airport/Bluetooth all in one card.

Before taking the card out, trying switching the antenna cables. Early models had a problem A and B were mismarked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Have you taken a look at what WiFi version your Mac Pro supports? (b/g/n/ac)
I'm guessing g, and your iPhone is n or ac. Big difference in speeds there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
All Mac Pros right back to the model 1.1 can handle 802.11n so there should be no difference. Investigate the Airport card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.