PC Keyboard on a Mac

Reaction score
I installed a Mac Mini (OSX) for someone who wanted to use their existing PC keyboard. Is there a way to turn off the number pad so they can use the arrows that would normally be associated with a PC type of environment?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only difference between most PC keyboards and genuine Apple keyboards (USB connected) is that some keys have to be substituted to get the Apple equivalent such as the Windows key for the command key. You don't have to turn off the numlock on a PC keyboard to use the arrows keys. Everything should work OK. If it doesn't for some reason, that means the PC keyboard is not compatible.

OP
D
Reaction score
The only difference between most PC keyboards and genuine Apple keyboards (USB connected) is that some keys have to be substituted to get the Apple equivalent such as the Windows key for the command key. You don't have to turn off the numlock on a PC keyboard to use the arrows keys. Everything should work OK. If it doesn't for some reason, that means the PC keyboard is not compatible.

I think maybe I didn't communicate this properly. I don't want the number pad to act as a number pad, I want it to act as 4 arrow keys, home, end, page up and page down on a mac. If this isn't possible, and it can't be done, then I can make other arrangements.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does your PC keyboard have an Fn key? If it does, holding down the Fn key at the same time as the up arrow acts like a page up, and so on. When using an Apple computer it's best to have an Apple keyboard. A new wired keyboard is $49 - perhaps a bit expensive, however, you can buy Apple wired keyboards (not Apple branded) for a lot less. For example, iHome sells an identical wired keyboard including two USB ports for $39 and even less if you shop around. (Check on eBay and Amazon.com)

OP
D
Reaction score
The person who owns the computer wants to use the number pad like arrows. If this isn't possible, another keyboard is needed. I'm not looking for work arounds, I'm asking if you can make a PC keyboard use the number pad as arrows.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you read what I wrote above?

Does your PC keyboard have an Fn key? If it does, holding down the Fn key at the same time as the up arrow acts like a page up, and so on.

If his PC keyboard has an Fn key it will enable the number key pad keys to act like page up, page down, home, and end. If his keyboard has no Fn key, then you need to find another solution.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The person who owns the computer wants to use the number pad like arrows. If this isn't possible, another keyboard is needed. I'm not looking for work arounds, I'm asking if you can make a PC keyboard use the number pad as arrows.

Are you saying that this keyboard is similarly laid out like the keyboard in the photo (below)? Where the numeric keypad keys and arrow keys are dual function? And a modifier key needs to be used to get the numbers or arrows to be used?

If so...what would the solution be if this keyboard was connected to a Windows computer...and not a Mac? This may be the solution that is needed. Maybe the "num lock" key needs to be used/not used.

The other answer could be...this sort of keyboard may not be 100% Mac compatible.

IBM_PC_Keyboard.jpg

- Nick

p.s. I of course am not suggesting that the keyboard in the photo is exactly what the keyboard in question looks like. Just an example of how the numeric keypad and arrow keys are laid out (dual function).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love those old IBM keyboards. I had one sitting in my closet for years before I finally broke down and gave it away. Those things were built to last and could actually be placed in a dish washer to clean them.

OP
D
Reaction score
This is a logitech wired keyboard. When you touch the "num lock" key, the mac makes a "dunk" noise and the number are still in effect. I was looking for guidance as to a setting somewhere else that might allow the keys to be toggled, like in the settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
Sad,I still use a "clicker" on my server!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a logitech wired keyboard. When you touch the "num lock" key, the mac makes a "dunk" noise and the number are still in effect. I was looking for guidance as to a setting somewhere else that might allow the keys to be toggled, like in the settings.

You never mentioned any of that before. Logitech manufactures keyboards specifically for the Mac platform as well as for PCs. I'm guessing that you will not be able to use that keyboard in the manner that you wish. Perhaps someone else might have an idea how.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I use my Mini with a Windows Keyboard from time to time (a Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard) and mine has the same behaviour.

Interestingly, my keyboard has a Numlock light and I normally have this on. As soon as I plug in to the Mini the Numlock light goes off, the Numlock key doesn't do anything but the keys function as numbers. On a Windows PC, if the light is off the keys would act as cursor keys etc.

So at least you know this appears to be 'normal' behaviour.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I use my Mini with a Windows Keyboard from time to time (a Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard) and mine has the same behaviour.

Interestingly, my keyboard has a Numlock light and I normally have this on. As soon as I plug in to the Mini the Numlock light goes off, the Numlock key doesn't do anything but the keys function as numbers. On a Windows PC, if the light is off the keys would act as cursor keys etc.

So at least you know this appears to be 'normal' behaviour.

Great info!:)

As you described…this Windows keyboard works fine with a Windows computer (using the Num Lock key for numbers or arrow use). And things don't work the same way on a Mac (Mac-Mini).

So for the OP…leads me to believe (no surprises here…always knew this)…not all Windows computer keyboards are 100% compatible with Mac's.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.