outlook 15 overheats my macbook and makes fans spin

J

jogdial

Ok, I have isolated this to my outlook 15 (or 365or whatever it is called, the new Blue Icon Outlook) run outlook and within 5 minutes or so the fans start up... shut outlook down and the fans stop. I was using mail, but it just doesn't quite do everything I need as I connect to the corp exchange server. I've googled and read about outlook 2011 doing this. Is Microsoft trying to destroy my macbook? Luckily I have access to our hosted windows environments so I have a virtual windows desktop that I run outlook on most of the time, but sometimes if I just need to do a quick email or am working over not so reliable connections, I want outlook. Is anyone else having this problem?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can you tell us what model MacBook you have + it's specs + what OS version it's running?

- Nick

OP
J

jogdial

sure - its a mid 2012 macbook pro retina - 2.7Ghz core i7 16 GB ram with 750GB SSD running Yosemite - fully patched.

Outlook used to get into this syncing issue where it appeared to be syncing mailboxes constantly... but I downloaded all the updates for Outlook and then deleted all the mail and let it rebuild and the sync issue went away and I thought it was fixed, but no, still keeps firing up the fans. It has always run fairly hot, but never has shutdown or anything. But the fan noise just gets irritating after a while and I have to shut down outlook.

Thanks for any input you might provide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
Maybe try and figure out what Outlook is doing: sync'ing, archiving, downloading older emails, etc. Then check your account settings, or worst case, re-create the account. Check also that there are no limitations to data file size...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.