Mail Files Not Fully Restored

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro mid-2012 Retina OS X 10.15.7 8 GB memory 500 GB storage
I recently had to do a full erase and OS reload due to a boot-up issue. In order to restore my Mail files, I found the V2 folder in Library in Time Machine and moved it to the new Mail folder on my computer. All of the prior mailboxes were restored, but many of them were empty. These were not boxes that were previously deleted and I found emails that were two years old in other boxes.

Any ideas why the emails disappeared? Does Mail drop items based on dates once they reach a certain age?

Rick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can not restore Mail that way. If you have a good Time Machine backup here is what you need to do:

Open your Mail program and leave it open... now run Time Machine and it should show you which dates you can recover mail from. Select the date that you wish. If your Time Machine backups are good and nothing else is messed up, that should work.

(Looks like you're having all sorts of problems today... anyway, glad we got you back to being able to log on.)

Let us know if you need more assistance with this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.