Problems Updating iTunes on Win 7 PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
I have iTunes v11 installed on my Win 7 PC, and I often connect my iPhone 6 to my PC to do various things. A popup told me that a newer version 12 of iTunes was available, so I clicked on update and the process began. About half way through it stops and I get the error message "Error occurred while installing updates. If problem persists, click on Tools>Download Only and install updates manually".

I followed those instructions and I ended up with a Downloaded Updates Folder, with no instructions on what to do next. So from that folder, I first ran iTunes6464.msi and before long I got the error message "Error getting file security', after which the installation rolled back to v11. I tried several of the .msi files in the Downloaded Updates Folder with the same results.

Any help/advice on how to successfully complete this iTunes update would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I apologize if this post is in the wrong forum......I wasn't sure.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's OK to post it here.

Did you by chance download the 32 bit version of iTunes 12 instead of the 64 bit version? Here's a link which has both the 32 and 64 bit downloads that you might try. I just downloaded the file and it's: iTunes6464setup.exe

Edit: It looks like you did download the 64 bit version. I have no idea why it wouldn't install?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
It's OK to post it here.

Did you by chance download the 32 bit version of iTunes 12 instead of the 64 bit version? Here's a link which has both the 32 and 64 bit downloads that you might try. I just downloaded the file and it's: iTunes6464setup.exe

Edit: It looks like you did download the 64 bit version. I have no idea why it wouldn't install?

I tried your link. The download was successful and then it started the installation process. As it was Creating Folders, I got the error message "Error getting file security' C:\Program Data\Apple\Apple Application Support\kdrl\GetLastError:5".

Any idea what that is about? Could it be my virus detector program (BitDefender), although it has never before interfered with installations?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On your Windows 7 machine look for Apple Software Update in your Start Menu or All Programs. That is how I install all Apple update on the family's Windows pc's. Never had an issue.

Actually, that takes me to the same update screen that I had been using. I select to only update iTunes......the download is successful, but I start getting errors during the installation process.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any idea what that is about? Could it be my virus detector program (BitDefender), although it has never before interfered with installations?

It's a possibility. Anyway, temporarily try turning it off and see if the iTunes installer will complete. I've never used BitDefender so not sure how it scans.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple's journey from 'it just works' to 'it just needs more work' is proving to be an accurate statement for me.

An Apple invite to upgrade iTunes on my Win 7 PC has turned into a total disaster. Postings at the Apple Support Community told me my many errors would go away if I first uninstalled v11 before installing v12. So I did, got the same errors, and now I have no iTunes program whatsoever.

I remember the good old days when iTunes just took care of your music library. Then it became totally convoluted and tried to do everything but sweep out the barn.

Oh well.........I guess I'm back to groveling with Apple.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not like I didn't try to salvage an installation of iTunes. Mine was obviously not a unique problem, as the Apple Community forums were inundated with related questions and answers.

Solutions I tried included:
- Temporarily turned off my virus detector (BitDefender)
- Started iTunes in Safe Mode
- Created a new User Account
- Went to iTunes Folder and renamed the Library Folder
- Took ownership of Apple Computer & Installer Cache and modified permissions
- Removed all iTunes-related items (iTunes, Apple S/W Update, Bonjour, Apple Application Support, etc), then rebooted and tried a new iTunes install

None of these recommended solutions worked for me. At that point I gave up and did a system restore using my Win 7 system image created three days ago. That restore worked, so iTunes v11 is again working. I think I will wait awhile before trying the v12 update again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
None of these recommended solutions worked for me. At that point I gave up and did a system restore using my Win 7 system image created three days ago. That restore worked, so iTunes v11 is again working. I think I will wait awhile before trying the v12 update again.

Good old Windows System Restore to the rescue! It's saved my bacon many times. Sounds like a good idea to stick with iTunes 11 for awhile at least until Apple updates iTunes 12 again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.