Network setup, IPs,

Reaction score
I used a MacBookPro 2011 (4GB 2.4MHz 256GB) since years in Wifi environment.
Recently I bought a new MBPro mid-2014 Retina, 8GB, 2.6MHz, 128GB).
Upon registration I typed the requested Name and Password. Both are the same as in the previous case.
In the home environment the new laptop has no WiFi based network connectivity only via cable.
The wifi is provided by a Time Capsule (500GB) and/or the router provided by the ISP.

My question: using the same Name and password could cause discrepancy in case of use both devices simultaneously?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Do you mean that you have the same user account name and password on two machines? If that is the case it is not normally an issue. Routers manage network activity based on an IP number (assigned by the router and a network ID number for the network card in each machine. Unless the two machines are using static IP addresses and have both been assigned the same number. Unlikely to occur for most people's network setup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Upon registration I typed the requested Name and Password. Both are the same as in the previous case.

My question: using the same Name and password could cause discrepancy in case of use both devices simultaneously?

You didn't explain clearly which "registration" you are talking about.
Do you mean Apple ID registration? Then yes, use the same one.
Do you mean WiFi access password? Then yes, use the same one as before. Like Sydude says, the router assigns your new Mac a different IP address to keep them separate.
If we haven't guessed the correct "registration," please tell us more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.