AirPrint monochrome laser printer for MacBook Air?

R

RonH

I am running OSX 10.9.5 with a 3-year old HP LaserJet P1102w monochrome laser. HP no longer supports drivers for this model. Which name brand/model airprint-capable monochrome printers will install flawlessly with my system. My current computer was set up for me and I am not too savvy with this system. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
R

RonH

Name brand/model AirPrint printer recommendation

I am replacing curent HP AirPrint printer. Which is your recommendation? Amazon reviews of Brother printers are negative for example for Mac owners.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I am replacing curent HP AirPrint printer. Which is your recommendation? Amazon reviews of Brother printers are negative for example for Mac owners.

I'm a bit surprised to read that as normally Brother printers are one of the most recommended and well supported for Mac use and I have often recommended them

But speaking of new printers regardless of brand, it might be worth while checking Mac compatibility:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201465

PS: Unfortunately not all recently released printers are listed there, including our new Canon MG5620 that was released last fall '14. And your LaserJet P1102w sure doesn't seem to be listed. Strange. :Oops:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That list doesn't seem to be all inclusive. There are many supported older HP printers for example that are not listed including mine (HP LJ 1012). HP LaserJet printers are generally work horses and since the toner cartridge for them also includes the drum, replacement is easy and long lasting. Brother printers on the other hand have a separate drum from the cartridge which needs replacement. In other words, more $$ for the consumables.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yes I've noticed, unfortunately Apple just can't seem to be able to keep and up to date list, yet that page says it was updated three days ago. Our Canon that was released fall '14 is still not listed and it works fine.

Believe it or not, and I'll sure agree with your HP Laser comment, we're still using an old HP Laserjet 4ML that's fully networked that's also on Apple's list, which is quite surprising as it uses and needs an old Apple DIN serial cable and also needs AppleTalk to work, so OS X 5.x is needed as well that an old G5 under my desk is supplying since my old iBook G4's HDD died.

It's more than 1/2 through it's third box of 5,000 pages and on it's second refilled toner cartridge that cost about $54.00 several years ago. How's that for good economy monochrome printing?? Especially considering that the printer was given to me years ago as they couldn't get it to work with their newer Mac at the time. Anyway, sorry to babble on… ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Amazon reviews of Brother printers are negative for example for Mac owners.

Are you talking only about AirPrint compatible Brother printers? I have a non-Airprint Brother monochrome laser printer…and it has always worked great.:)

I haven't seen these particular reviews…but always be careful when interpreting negative reviews. What you're seeing may only be 1% of all users/owners. The other 99% may be perfectly pleased.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.