Yosemite OMG!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
I just bought a new 13.3" MacBook Pro with Yosemite on it! OMG!!! I think they named it Yosemite because it would cause a lot of people to jump off that cliff people climb at Yosemite!

I know when many of us have to switch to a new OS it is traumatic...LOL.... but OMG... I'm in PC land with this Yosemite O.S.! I'm glad you guys are around to help me adjust! To start with Yosemite froze during the immediate information install... nice start! Now, I have gotten it running, but so far I hate everything I see! I'm simply trying to figure out how to configure it to work similar to the picture of my Desktop below but I can't even get to a "real" Desktop! I'm simply trying to load files on it, & I can't even figure out how to create folders & copy files into them from an external hard drive! (See picture below) Of course I know Yosemite has more to it, but I don't see anything I personally need since I didn't buy it for a "Life on Twitter & Facebook"! Like at 73 yrs old I want my nude pictures on iCloud to be hacked like them there movie stars!

Question: Will a MacBook Pro run on O.S. 10.6.8? I even had to use my "beat up Macbook 5.2 that won't even charge batteries to send this email!"

Of course I'll give it sometime & work with Yosemite , but so far I don't understand Yosemite! Hey Apple Designers, "It seems you have forgotten that what made Apple's products industry leaders back at the beginning! It was Apple products were intuitive & easy to understand! Not so much anymore!"

Worst comes to "worser", as English teachers say, I'll return the damned computer & buy a used MacBook for half the price from OMC & put 10.6.8 on it with the Apple Disks that Apple won't supply anymore! Boy, am I getting old... but for the price I payed for the computer.... I'd like to enjoy it as I have enjoyed Apple Products in the past!

THANX... for reading my "letting off of steam" due to my Yosemite frustration! I'd appreciate any tips about how to get close to this arrangement (in the screen shot below) because it works great for me in keeping organized on a Mac!

Love Mac Forum!

MacBook%20Screen_zps6mhzqo5o.png

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is there anyway you can take a pic of the screen you are seeing in Yosemite?

Although the icons are FLAT and it looks cartoonish it's still OSX and has the Dock and Finder like Snow Leopard does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Im not sure exactly what you can't do. I just set my Finder up like your's, with the Alias Folders too. The only thing I couldn't do, was drag a Folder to the Top Bar in Finder where you have IN PROGRESS, and list them in the order you have.
When your on the Desktop, you can't ⌃Click the Desktop to create Folders, you can do the same on your Macintosh HD, and where ever the Alias is, you can also drag it to the Mac HD. . . . What exactly can't you do, as I'm really confused here, because Yosemite, is working towards Social Media, and iCloud computing, but the Basics are still there. Places is now Favourites too.

The HD.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm simply trying to figure out how to configure it to work similar to the picture of my Desktop below

What is it about the screencap of your old Desktop that you want to mimic? I don't see the Dock, so if you want to hide the Dock, right-click on the divider line and select "Turn Hiding On". That's exactly how it's done in Snow Leopard, and every other version of OS X for that matter.

Is it the way Finder has the folder tree laid out? Just select "View as Columns" from the menu or toolbar. It's exactly the same as before.

The lack of icons on the Desktop? Finder » Preferences » General exactly as in Snow Leopard.

Is it the calendar at the bottom that you want? That's some 3rd party app... I don't know what it is, but it didn't come with Snow Leopard either.

...but I can't even get to a "real" Desktop! I'm simply trying to load files on it, & I can't even figure out how to create folders & copy files into them from an external hard drive!

Define "real" Desktop. And copying files is literally the EXACT same way as Snow Leopard. Just drag and drop, or use CMD-C to copy, CMD-V to paste. Ditto for creating new folders. Right-click, "New folder". Completely unchanged.

Question: Will a MacBook Pro run on O.S. 10.6.8? I even had to use my "beat up Macbook 5.2 that won't even charge batteries to send this email!"

No, a new one won't. And why can't you send email from the new MacBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Well Mr. D, I just wanted to say I got a chuckle out of your Yosemite OMG! title, and parts of your frustration that I can identify, but I'm lucky enough to be able to just use Mavericks and have avoided the cliff jumping OS. ;)

But a bit OT, and I may be mistaken, are you not the same Mr. D from Apple Valley who is/was very much into classic cars and their restoration.

If so, that may help increase or be a reason for your frustration with newer Macs and their OS. ;)

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well Mr. D, I just wanted to say I got a chuckle out of your Yosemite OMG! title, and parts of your frustration that I can identify, but I'm lucky enough to be able to just use Mavericks and have avoided the cliff jumping OS. ;)

But a bit OT, and I may be mistaken, are you not the same Mr. D from Apple Valley who is/was very much into classic cars and their restoration.

If so, that may help increase or be a reason for your frustration with newer Macs and their OS. ;)

You have found me out! Small world! Where do you know me from? It must be from a car forum, or you would have recognized my ugly face!

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank You for all the polite replies!

I did a little more work with the new computer & finally figured out a few things, & I am doing better with it! I think Yosemite would work for me given some more time with it.
Now, I'm disappointed to find out many of my older Power PC applications won't word such as MS Word & Adobe Photoshop just to start with! These O.S. upgrades usually don't give me anything new I really benefit from, but they kill a lot of my favorite applications. In the case of Adobe Photoshop I have a copy connected to my "former" job that can't be upgraded, so I would have to buy the whole, very expensive program. The only thing I've benefited from with this new computer is the processing speed.

I'm thinking of taking it back to Best Buy & buying a used MacBook from OWC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know what model your 13" MB is in your Mac specs, but if you need a newer model that can still run your PPC apps, here's a list of Macs that can run OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8:
https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2455

But I dare say that MS Word and Adobe PS must be pretty old versions if they're Power PC code only! And many of those had free updates years ago that made them Intel code compatible.

Anyway, just saying, there may be free stuff that updates some stuff… ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

I did a little more work with the new computer & finally figured out a few things, & I am doing better with it! I think Yosemite would work for me given some more time with it.
Now, I'm disappointed to find out many of my older Power PC applications won't word such as MS Word & Adobe Photoshop just to start with! ....

Tell us a bit more about the programs that are important but to you but no longer work. Depending upon your needs there may be cheap alternative programs with similar capabilities.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Now, I'm disappointed to find out many of my older Power PC applications won't word such as MS Word & Adobe Photoshop just to start with! These O.S. upgrades usually don't give me anything new I really benefit from, but they kill a lot of my favorite applications. In the case of Adobe Photoshop I have a copy connected to my "former" job that can't be upgraded, so I would have to buy the whole, very expensive program. The only thing I've benefited from with this new computer is the processing speed.

Honestly, I wouldn't be so quick to send the Mac back to Best Buy. You speak of PPC Apps, which now Adobe has gone to a Subscription Style and not having to pay $1000+ for PS itself. You can get PS Creative Cloud + Lightroom for under $10/mth. If you use this quite a bit, it is really worth the price, because it will take 9yrs of Subs to get to the $1000 and within that time, you get every update and upgrade that goes with it.
MS Word is again a Sub service, but IMHO what the want upfront a year, is a little expensive for me. There is Pages, Open Office, Neo Office and Libre Office to look at, which are all MS Word compatible.

PPC App are out the window, and are no longer supported. Snow Leopard is coming up to being 6 yrs old. If ou worked with a PPC App that hasn't got the Equivalent or something similar in todays OS, I can understand in hanging around, but the Mac OS is moving on at such a rate, that anything you do on SL won't be compatible soon.
IMHO, you really need to be looking forward and not backwards.

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx for the replies guys! I looked at all the application upgrades I would have to do with Yosemite & it was as much as the computer was worth.... so it went back to Best Buy! If I need another computer I'll buy a used one from QWC that will run 10.6.8! Thanks again for the replies!

Mr. D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx for the replies guys! I looked at all the application upgrades I would have to do with Yosemite & it was as much as the computer was worth.... so it went back to Best Buy! If I need another computer I'll buy a used one from QWC that will run 10.6.8! Thanks again for the replies!

Mr. D

I may be mistaken, but I thought you already have a MacBook5,2 which can do all you want. And maybe some increase of some memory RAM if needed and a $20.00 SL 10.6.8 install and you're ready to go.

Or am I missing something…??? :Confused:
Lookup Mac Specs By Serial Number, Order, Model & EMC Number, Model ID @ EveryMac.com

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I may be mistaken, but I thought you already have a MacBook5,2 which can do all you want. And maybe some increase of some memory RAM if needed and a $20.00 SL 10.6.8 install and you're ready to go.

Or am I missing something…??? :Confused:
Lookup Mac Specs By Serial Number, Order, Model & EMC Number, Model ID @ EveryMac.com

You are right Sir! I do have a MacBook 5.2 in which I recently upgrated the memory, but it will no longer recognize a battery. I replaced the MagSafe charging connection on the recommendation of a gentleman on this forum. No change! I suspect it is a deeper Motherboard problem. So.... I use it plugged into AC!

The only reason I wanted another Laptop is to have one that I could use when traveling on vacation with a battery, & "as spoiled as it sounds" also to have a Laptop both in the Family Rm. where I watch TV to look up things related to TV watching, etc. & another Laptop in my bedroom for creating problems on the internet when I have insomnia. I write on a few forums about classic cars, new Mustangs, guns & politics. I like to write & exchange ideas with bright, "open minded" people, although there seem to be fewer of them every year in this country, but that's for a different forum. LOL! Mac owners seem to be a bright & polite lot! That's nice!

With a few extra hours I did configure Yosemite to do most of what I wanted it to do! In any case, I returned the new laptop today to best Buy mainly to avoid having to update most all of my applications. Some of them I love cannot even be updated to Yosemite at any cost! They are just gone! Example: I use iMovie 5.02 HD for re-editing standard definition movies & burning them to a standard DVD. I create DVD's for my son's teaching of kids with learning problems. I'm a retire teacher! iMovie 5.02 is so much simpler to use than newer versions of iMovie. Apple is missing the boat in not producing "Easy to use, intuitive" versions of applications. Most people don't want to make a "Hollywood Movie". The old version 5.02 I mentioned does most everything the average guy wants in a super simple, intuitive way where new versions of iMove are very complicated..... but then what do I know! If anyone knows a simple, intuitive video editing program for Mac that recognizes modern video cameras I'd be interested.

I think I would like to buy the latest Mac Laptop that can still use OS 10.6.8 from OWC. What a nice outfit to deal with! I recommend them highly!

Thanx for all the replies, "Mr. D" for 31 years! (That's what my students called me!)

Driver's Front.jpg

•Mustang Supercharged.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
WOW. I love that 56 Chevy Wagon! Beautiful!

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW. I love that 56 Chevy Wagon! Beautiful!

Surprisingly, I loved the way it looked, but found I don't like driving station wagons! Sold it!

Won't clog up the thread, but here......

Rear Metalwork.jpg

Pass Interior4x6.JPG

'61 Fuelly.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.