Disable login screen at startup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini
After I upgraded to Mavericks there is now a login screen where I have to enter a password to get to the desktop and it wasn't there when I had Mountain Lion. How do I disable this? I went into Users but it won't let me delete the Guest account. I hate having to login every time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
System Preferences. Security & Privacy. General tab and untick require password.

That should do it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The Guest account is not what is causing the need to login each time but I think the settings you need to change may come into play any time you have moore than one account listed in the login area. Disable the Guest User Account at Mac OS X Lion Login Screen | OSXDailyI think the procedure that remained the same since this was written.

Try the following and see if this gets you back to the setting you prefer:
1. Open System Preferences>Security & Privacy pane.
2. Click the General tab.
3. Uncheck Disable Automatic Login

OP
GameGuru
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini
Already unchecked, what else could it be?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After I upgraded to Mavericks there is now a login screen where I have to enter a password to get to the desktop and it wasn't there when I had Mountain Lion. How do I disable this? I went into Users but it won't let me delete the Guest account. I hate having to login every time.

Make sure that you're not using FileVault or have accidentally invoked it. Login is mandatory if you're running FileVault. There is no way around it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Unless the OP has enabled FileVault as mentioned, God forbid, I think they'll find the login options in the System Preferences -> Users & Groups "Login Options…" option for the selected user.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Unless the OP has enabled FileVault as mentioned, God forbid, I think they'll find the login options in the System Preferences -> Users & Groups "Login Options…" option for the selected user.
Right you are. completely forgot to look at those settings when I posted my earlier response. Gold star for you dunce cap for me. Again!

@GameGuru
1. Open System Preferences>Users & Groups preference pane in
2. Unlock the preference pane and select the account you want to login automatically. The options for automatic login are on the right side of the pane. Select the user you want to login automatically.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note that everything was OK when he was using Mountain Lion. Those settings should not have changed when he upgraded to Mavericks - which is why I suspect the upgrade may have invoked FileVault. We've seen it happen before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's been reported since Yosemite was released that FileVault is almost enabled by default, and almost as if Apple is just doing so rather than or in order of giving a single finger salute… ;)

"With the release of OS X Yosemite, Apple has blown a loud raspberry in the direction of law enforcement agencies and data thieves round the world.

The reason? The latest version of Apple's operating system for desktops and laptops positively encourages users to turn on full disk encryption, in the shape of FileVault 2. …
"
Take that FBI! OS X Yosemite Encrypts Disks by Default, Better Protecting Privacy | The Mac Security Blog

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
FileVault2 does not activate by default - the user chooses it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Hmmm…??? Maybe you get a different version "down under", or interpret things or English differently, but it's sure not the case that most see as mentioned in the article above, i.e.:

"...But what's new in OS X Yosemite, is that more users are likely to enable FileVault than ever before—as at installation you have to consciously opt-out of having your hard drive encrypted, rather than opt-in. …" (bold mine)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

No, the user is asked if they don't want to use it. Unless you choose NOT to use it it will be applied. The inference is that it is advised but you may select not to if you wish.
Faced with that proposition it is no wonder that many will opt for the default option assuming Apple would not present it that way if there was a problem. Which I think we all know is not quite true.;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.