• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Windows Vista Delayed...Again. Now it's January 2007!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Looks like about 60% of the Code for Vista will have to be rewritten from scratch. M$ is even stealing folks from the X-Box program to help out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Its amazing that the latest OSX is not really that much more advanced then XP and XP is still more advanced in some cases.

Ouch! How did you come to that resault? I'm intrested.

OP
C

CharlesP2001

60%, hmm I wonder what that includes?

I beat this means the first release of Vista will be a buggy pile of junk like Windows ME, oh what disaster that was! I still have nightmares of all the work I lost under Windows ME. Thankfully I just sold my last Windows computer on eBay and I am 100% free of Microsoft products (well, except for Microsoft Messenger, so 95% I guess). In any case I don't need or want Vista and I'm really excited about Leopard!

baggss said:
Looks like about 60% of the Code for Vista will have to be rewritten from scratch. M$ is even stealing folks from the X-Box program to help out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
applepissue said:
What did they steal exactly? did they steal media centre and call it front row?

Xp is nearly 5 years old and i can still do everything you want and do, everything you can do on a Mac and then some.

its amazing that the latest OSX is not really that much more advanced then XP and XP is still more advanced in some cases.

XP is in no way more advanced then mac os 10. OS X is based on *nix where windows is not. The security of mac is way higher then it is on windows and it supports the ability to do more things (such as xGrid, and spotlight for example). The terminal in mac osx is way more powerful then command prompt in windows, as that is pretty much just dos.

Reaction score
Jabjabs said:
Ouch! How did you come to that resault? I'm intrested.

it is a much more open platform for 3rd party hardware and app's.
Just that fact make windows much more advanced.

It has less vulnerabilities the mac OSX
http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/bulletins/SB2005.html
Dont even bother with this winodows has more viruses and spyware blah blah.
Read the FACTS osx/unix/linux has many times the vulnerabilities of Windows.
just because more people are killed in cars deaths every year does not mean motorbikes are safer, there is just more cars.

Window handles 3D and Open GL better then Mac osx, you cant deny that.
Windows is streamlined and easier to use, you dont have to remember so many short cuts or use one hand on the keyboard and one on the mouse, like you so often have to do on a Mac.

First thing i done on my Mac was to set up the right click so i could run OSX more like Windows.

Windows Media centre is by far more advanced then Front Row, which does stuff all if you ask me, how about doing something usefull like recording HDTV? and use it as a PVR?

just other small things like haveing to use a shortcut or go to the file menu to open another seperate page in my browser.
or have to do the same thing to close a app.

Also the lack of a proper uninstall utility, its great when Apps have them but what about when Apps dont have them? draging a program from the HD to the trash is pretty low tech and lame.

Also all Windows Apps install the same and are easy to do, with mac osx some apps are easy to install, but some i am left wondering what i am supposed to do? Drag the unpacked App from the desktop to the Apps folder?? thats just stupid!! should be just one universal simple way to install apps.

Also Windows XP Pro's networking capablities are far superior to mac OSX

That will do it for now, i sure there is still more and all this from a OS that is 5 years old.

So what Make the Mac OSX so advanced?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz
Ok ok... lets not turn this into a flamewar! Each Os has Pro's and Con's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I think that this is going to cause a lot more people to switch to OS X, especially now that we have Intel chips in our machines. My whole family is switching over this year - started with me, then my wife, next my parents, grandparents, etc. I never, ever have to do tech support on my wife's iMac Core Duo. It just works, and that's nice!

OP
K

Kokopelli

Yes folks, it is my weekly "pre coffee, can't be bothered to get out of bed" post!

applepissue said:
it is a much more open platform for 3rd party hardware and app's.
Just that fact make windows much more advanced.
No it does not. It means that windows is the dominant desktop platform.

applepissue said:
It has less vulnerabilities the mac OSX
http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/bulletins/SB2005.html
Dont even bother with this winodows has more viruses and spyware blah blah.
Read the FACTS osx/unix/linux has many times the vulnerabilities of Windows.
just because more people are killed in cars deaths every year does not mean motorbikes are safer, there is just more cars.

No it does not. Instead of looking at the summary, look at the vulnerabilities. First off they group all *nixes together so that number includes a large volume of things that do not effect the Mac. Second look at the updates, their nature and their frequency. I know it can be difficult to read them, but try before you say over generalized (and false) statements like that.

Hint: Linux kernel vulnerabilites don't effect the Mac.
Hint2: When a single vulnerability gets updated 9 times it is still a single vulnerability being fixed by multiple distributions.

applepissue said:
Window handles 3D and Open GL better then Mac osx, you cant deny that.

Better handling of Open GL? Nope.
Allowing software a lower level interface to video to be faster for the app? yes (not a perfectly accurate statement, but windows does handle OGL requests from apps in a more efficient manner.)

applepissue said:
Windows is streamlined and easier to use, you dont have to remember so many short cuts or use one hand on the keyboard and one on the mouse, like you so often have to do on a Mac.

You are kidding, right? Really. This is a joke, right?

applepissue said:
First thing i done on my Mac was to set up the right click so i could run OSX more like Windows.
So you plugged in a 2 button USB mouse. Got ya.

applepissue said:
Windows Media centre is by far more advanced then Front Row, which does stuff all if you ask me, how about doing something usefull like recording HDTV? and use it as a PVR?

True. Very true.

applepissue said:
just other small things like haveing to use a shortcut or go to the file menu to open another seperate page in my browser.
or have to do the same thing to close a app.
yes <cmd>N (for New) can be difficult to remember when you first start.

same for <cmd>T (for Tab) and <cmd>Q (for Quit).

Tell me how this is worse than the equivalent Windows operations again? The only argument I can see is Quit since Windows users are used to using the X button in the title bar. OS X made a conscious and deliberate decision to do things in a way they felt better. Some people agree, others do not.

applepissue said:
Also the lack of a proper uninstall utility, its great when Apps have them but what about when Apps dont have them? draging a program from the HD to the trash is pretty low tech and lame.
So you are complaining about the complexity of the operation? Or the idea that it is counter intuitive? If it makes you feel better you can select the application and type <CMD> <Delete> to uninstall. I must confess the idea that the uninstall is too simple seems novel to me.

applepissue said:
Also all Windows Apps install the same and are easy to do, with mac osx some apps are easy to install, but some i am left wondering what i am supposed to do? Drag the unpacked App from the desktop to the Apps folder?? thats just stupid!! should be just one universal simple way to install apps.

Again, complaining about the simplicity of the process because you are used to a more invovled process. You are a man of truly subtle wit, I see that now. Genius.

applepissue said:

No they are not. Since you do not give anything of substance, neither will I.

applepissue said:
That will do it for now, i sure there is still more and all this from a OS that is 5 years old.

Yes a 5 year old OS that I have no problems with and think a good, even superior, choice for many things. The above list is either comedic genius or tripe though.

applepissue said:
So what Make the Mac OSX so advanced?

The L&F and user experience are subjective elements but I generally find OS X (with QuickSilver) to be much more pleasant and intuitive. And before I get branded a Mac fanatic, I have had my Mac now for 13 months so I am hardly a died in the wool Mac user. I jump between Windows, Linux, and OS X every day on the desktop and like certain things in each. Overall I just find the Mac the most intuitive.

Better security infrastructure (yes both have flaws)
Consistent and pervasive command keys.
Consistent and pervaisve preferences format.
Cleaner and easier systems preferences.
*nix infrastructure
Much more powerful command line
Better system wide search
Open GL accelerated desktop. (at the cost of efficiency of OGL in a single app)

And finally an EXTREMELY subjective and opinionated statement but I also find OS X developers to be more inclined to think outside the box. Quicksilver, Butler, Endo, SubEthaEdit. Not earth shattering, but each brings an element of out of box thinking that I do not see as much in Windows. Linux has the same crtivity, but not the polish IMHO.

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
applepissue said:

That is the best thing I've heard all day, you should be a comedian

BiT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel core duo iMac. 15.4" MBP, 100GB, 256MB vRAM, 1GB RAM, 2.16GHz
This shows why Windows Vista is delayed until 2007. Cause they Messed Up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
applepissue is getting annoying.. in every post i read he likes to use those myths such as its harder etc.. i honestly dont think he actually gave Mac OS a chance.. he has one big whoop! hes just disgusted and is in favor of windows..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm beginning to think MacAnal has returned with a different user name after being banned...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
baggss said:
I'm beginning to think MacAnal has returned with a different user name after being banned...

I was going to post the very same thing earlier but backed off. Glad someone else did because it looks that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
They said they needed more time to add more security to it. But that it will be available for large businesses now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because, as we all know, large businesses have no need for added security in an OS...

OP
K

Kokopelli

I must have missed the era of MacAnal. I think it likely that MS has some form of plan though and that the 60% rumor is just that.

MS is many things, but they are not stupid. They would not release Vista to corporates unless the known security problems were fixed in that version of Vista. Not to say it won't have problems, just that they have some kind of plan. We will see I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
baggss said:
Because, as we all know, large businesses have no need for added security in an OS...

I couldn't remember if it actually said 'now'. My mistake.

On Tuesday, Microsoft said the consumer version of Windows Vista, its much anticipated new operating system release, would be delayed until early next year, missing the all-important holiday season. Some versions will be released to big businesses in November. Microsoft blamed the delay on setbacks in completing security enhancements and other functions.

--SF Chronicle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
On Tuesday, Microsoft said the consumer version of Windows Vista, its much anticipated new operating system release, would be delayed until early next year, missing the all-important holiday season. Some versions will be released to big businesses in November. Microsoft blamed the delay on setbacks in completing security enhancements and other functions.

--SF Chronicl

I assume this means the actual business versions and (more likely) server versions of Vista will be available to businesses.

I don't think that is accurate. If 60% of Vista needs to be rewritten, then 60% of it needs to be rewritten.

I don't give much creditibility to either side, we can only see when Windows Vista comes out when we see it in the stores :)

Doesn't matter to me though... won't be buying it anyway. I'm persuaded my next computer is an iBook, and only money limits me now (as I'm 14, but don't disregard what I say because of my age ;))

I don't know about you guys, but I think MacPissue is just a Windows fanboy that's never touched a Mac... he's just envious and jealous, give him time. but honestly, this thread did not need to be turned into a flamewar.

--p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
ooh.. another 14 year old (im 14 for those who didn't know) whos got cash.. youll love the ibook, i saved up for on and i have no regrets even with the intels..

OP
C

codie

if theres one thing i hate it's people who have the nerve to tell a whole lot of ****. now all everybody want is a fair unbiased dialysis of the operating systems, the flaws and the pros and the cons. myself being a New mac user (1/2 a year) still find i have biase for apple, cause i absolutly hate MSFT (im entitled to my own opinion) my old computer i got 2 years ago costed me $3600 US and it was a piece of ****, it got a virus 2 weeks after i bought it and i had to reset it to the stationary settings 5 times in 2 years. now this system had 512 mb 20 gig hd 2.8 Ghz cpu w/HT technology it wasnt a petiful system at all.

i came to my senses and got my imac (its a lil slow but stable as ****)

um i forgot my point cause i wrote too much gimmie a sec...........

OH yea thts ryt having nerve to tell ****. if your goig to say things about XP or vista and say its better than OSX then atleast compare it like tht dude did (srry i cant remeber ya name) otherwise wat your saying is outta context and myt not even be true, like HU DAHELL SAID FRNT ROW WAS WAY BETTER THAN WMCE i sure no i neva did, how can u even compare tht to frnt row, u cant its like comparing a hd plasma 42 inch to a 32 inch crt, there just on completly diferent levels one was made for lots of features the other was made to remote control ur media frm a distance (i probally didnt use the best example)

um i forgot my point again butwill stop before i bore u guys

(hey kool im 14 too)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.