SanDisk FAT32 usb drive went read-only overnight?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late-2008 15" macbook pro OSX Mavericks (10.9.5)- iPhone5S- iPad 2
Hello,

I have a 32.0 GB Sandisk cruzer that I've been using without problems for awhile. Yesterday it worked fine to transfer small files from a PC to my Mac. Today,it went to "read-only" on my 2008 macbook pro (running OS10.9.5).

Under "Get info" I see it is in FAT32 format, but under "Sharing & Permissions" it says "read-only" with no options or locks to change it.

I have tried using disk utility to erase/reformat, but all of the options are greyed out.

I tried to reformat on a PC, and was unable to due to the read-only permissions.

Can any one help me or is this a lost cause?

Last edited by a moderator:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac-Forums.

The SanDisk is probably defective if it suddenly went to read only and is locked. You should be able to format it on your Mac or a PC. Probably not worth messing with. If you just recently purchased it, it may still be under warranty. Also, your images were not formatted correctly and had to be removed.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late-2008 15" macbook pro OSX Mavericks (10.9.5)- iPhone5S- iPad 2
Thanks for replying/helping! Sorry about the image formatting- defintely new to the whole forum thing.
I figured it was the drive, since I couldn't format it. At least I was able to save the data :) Yay backups!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Agreed with chscag. A brief perusal of SanDisk's forums shows that this is a known issue.
Sandisk cruzer 16GB became read-only. - Page 2 - SanDisk Forums

Yikes, not just their forums, all over the 'net according to a google search:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=J-AtVbSPIKuAmALe8YCgBQ

I was interested in this as I have several SanDisk Flash drives, but haven't had any troubles — yet, but they are Mac formatted if that makes any difference.

There's a long but somewhat interesting article as to possibilities:
SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB write protected error - Page 19 - SanDisk Forums

Bottom line seems to be to keep the sales slip for any return. Hmmm…??? ;)

I might just reconsider my purchase brand. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.