Geting Error Message "Index.xml file is missing"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
I use iCloud on my iPhone 6, iPad Air and iMac. Using the File Share capability of iTunes, I transferred Word and Excel files from my Windows PC to my iPhone, and these files synced to all three devices.

On my two iOS 8.3 devices, I can read/edit these files. But on my iMac running 10.10.3, I get the error message "Document Invalid - Index.xml file is missing". I don't remember getting this message prior to upgrading yesterday from 10.10.2.

Admittedly, I have an older '08 version of iWorks on the iMac. On the iPhone and iPad, the version number of both Pages and Numbers is 2.5.2.

Would appreciate advice/recommendation as to what has happened on my iMac and how to correct it. Thanks in advance.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5

Not being a total idiot, that's the first place I went. And the explanations just got deeper and deeper, to the point that I could only conclude that program versions made the difference. But even that dialog was hard to follow, and like I said I could read those files until I updated Yosemite from 10.10.2 to 10.10.3.

So I asked for help.......sorry to have bothered you. Regards............

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's very possible that the files are corrupted and/or the iWork apps you're using are just too old. Have you tried updating them? Or, have you tried something like LibreOffice to see if they'll at least open?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's very possible that the files are corrupted and/or the iWork apps you're using are just too old. Have you tried updating them? Or, have you tried something like LibreOffice to see if they'll at least open?

Thanks for your response.

Since the files reside in my iCloud and since they can be opened on my iPhone and my iPad, being corrupt never entered my mind. I did just upgrade to iWorks '09 and I am currently in the process of installing the latest revision to each '09 program.

No I have never tried LibreOffice. But I did just get Microsoft's Office Mac 2011, and I hope to get that installed tomorrow.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I think the mystery is solved. Evidently, with the upgrade to Yosemite, I also got an upgrade to Pages v5.5.2. It appeared separately in my Applications folder and I just never noticed it. The older '08 version of Pages appeared in the Applications/iWorks folder; it was this older version that I kept trying to use to open the Word files I transferred from my PC. Once I 'discovered' v5.5.2, I could read my Word files with no problem.

With the Yosemite upgrade, I also received Numbers v3.5.2 and Keynote v.6.5.2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.