Mac Mini leaves a trail of boxes behind the mouse sometimes

Reaction score
I purchased a MacMini about 6 months ago. Over the last few weeks I've started experiencing this issue where I'll move the mouse and a trail of boxes (color varies depending on the background) behind. The system is a Mac Mini, Late 2014, with a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 8G of Ram and an Intel Iris graphic card with 1536MB of ram. I am running OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.2. I have two 27" LED displays connected (an AOC 2752 and an Acer S271HL. The AOC is connected to the Mac Mini via an HDMI cable and the Acer is connected via a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable. The mouse is a Razer Naga Epic Chroma, connected via USB cable and a powered hub. I have experienced this with the mouse connected directly to the computer as well. It doesn't happen all the time, but is very sporadic. I've tried different mice and have experienced the same issue. I've searched the web but haven't been able to find any solutions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your Mini is still under Apple warranty if you purchased it new 6 months ago. Probably a good idea to take it to an Apple store and have them run diagnostics on it. What you describe could be graphics related although that would be unusual with an integrated graphics chipset.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.