2009 a1278 MacBook Pro is charging, but does not show that it is charging.

Reaction score
I have a 2009 A1278 MacBook Pro, running Mavericks, 10.9.4. I have a strange charging issue. When the charger is plugged in, 60W or 85W, makes no difference, there is no green light, or orange light. The battery icon, top right on screen, shows that it is plugged in, but never shows lightning charge icon. If I go to system report, power, charge information, charging, no. Health information, cycle count 357, condition, normal.
AC charger information, connected, yes, charging, no.
But if I leave it plugged in, it will in fact, charge the battery, to a full charge.
I have replaced the MacSafe board, no change. Tried different chargers, no change

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
So it doesn't show it as charging - but it is? If you unplug it, does the MB Pro will continue to run on it's battery? And if so, does it last for hours and then is able to recharge again?

Lisa

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply Lisa. Yes, it will run on the battery, do not know how long, but it will recharge.
I just found out something else while doing some tinkering.
If I try to start the computer up, with battery unplugged, just hooked to the charger, it will not power up.
But if I do plug the battery in, get it powered up, then unplug the battery, it does not shut off.
You would think that if it would not power up with the battery unplugged, it would not keep running when you unplug the battery. Strange

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
My next thought is to reset the SMC and PRAM. I had an issue when I replaced a battery and it would not show correctly that it was charging and then it would say it was not yet it seemed to be. Resetting both fixed the issue so it can't hurt to try it.

To reset the PRAM:
Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

To reset the SMC:
Shut down the computer.
Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer if it's connected.
Remove the battery.
Press and hold the power button for five seconds.
Release the power button.
Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Here is a link from Apple discussing the SMC reset: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Here is a link from Apple discussing the PRAM/NVRAM reset: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Let us know how it goes!

Lisa

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes, I tried the SMC & PRAM sets, but no change.
I am guessing it is a battery, or may be a logic board problem.
Thank you very much for taking the time to help Lisa.
I guess it is not a bad thing, as it seems to work fine other than that, and as long as the new owner is aware of the issue, all is good.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If everything is actually working normally (computer runs on power adapter fine…and power adapter recharges the battery)…then maybe there's just a simple failure with the LED in the power adapter plug (everything working fine…LED just not working correctly).

Another thing you can try. Take something like a dry toothbrush and clean both the mag-safe plug on the adapter…and the mag-safe port on the computer.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Hello Nick,
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have cleaned off the ports, tried different power adapters, changed the MagSafe port, with no change.
As I mentioned, If I try to start the computer up, with battery unplugged, just hooked to the charger, it will not power up.
But if I do plug the battery in, get it powered up, then unplug the battery, with power adapter connected, it does not shut off.
You would think that if it would not power up with the battery unplugged, it would not keep running when you unplug the battery.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sounds like you've done a lot of great troubleshooting trying to figure this out. If you've tried multiple chargers, replaced the mage-safe board (DC-In board), and did an SMC Reset…there isn't a whole lot left to do. I certainly don't think that you want to go the "replace the logic board route" (cost)!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hello Nick,
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have cleaned off the ports, tried different power adapters, changed the MagSafe port, with no change.
As I mentioned, If I try to start the computer up, with battery unplugged, just hooked to the charger, it will not power up.
But if I do plug the battery in, get it powered up, then unplug the battery, with power adapter connected, it does not shut off.
You would think that if it would not power up with the battery unplugged, it would not keep running when you unplug the battery.

Maybe like some cars with a dead or goofy battery won't start until another good battery is used to give it a jump start.

I even had a similar problem with one of our boat marine batteries last year and had to use a jump start battery just to get the fully automatic charger to start charging the goofy battery. :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Your MacBook Pro should start and run from a suitable power adapter with the battery disconnected, I do this regularly. Based upon what what you've checked it only leaves the logic board left as the likely candidate, an expensive item. Also as far as Apple is concerned your MacBook Pro will become vintage at the end of this month, with no further support and spares from Apple. The only exception to this relates to the State of California.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
techiesteve, Why State of California? I live in it, so now I am curious?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
California consumer protection laws are different. You can check them out to see what the time requirements are for supporting devices such as computers. I personally don't know what the state of CA consumer laws say, I only know they're different than most other states.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See the California exceptions here:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201624

It's not documented there but I think it's so that they don't have a huge West Coast rebellion that the West Coaster Leftists seem to have a habit of doing. ;) :D

In Texas, they don't bother even listing it as an exception — they just grab their guns and shoot. Instant justice rules.

OP
P
Reaction score
Maybe like some cars with a dead or goofy battery won't start until another good battery is used to give it a jump start.

I even had a similar problem with one of our boat marine batteries last year and had to use a jump start battery just to get the fully automatic charger to start charging the goofy battery. :Confused:

Thank you pm-r. Yes, I was thinking it could be a battery issue as well. But, as I mentioned, it is something we are going to sell, and it seems to work fine other than this. As long as we let the buyer know, it should be fine. It is like the battery is saying to the computer, I am going to take this charge, but I am not going to let anyone know about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know you said you did so already, but I'd try doing a SMC and PRAM reset again just in case. And I'm wondering if booting up using Safe Boot Mode would change anything — if you'd even be allowed to. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.