Can I use a system image of a macbook pro to image an iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27.5" 5K Retina iMac 4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 16GB SDRAM, 3TB Fusion
I'm going to be doing a lot of fresh computer imaging and I was hoping I could use a system image of a macbook pro on an iMac for example.
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

What iMac and what operating system? Suggest far better to use the OS X Installer direct on the iMac. Drivves for the iMac my not have been included on the setup for a MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm going to be doing a lot of fresh computer imaging and I was hoping I could use a system image of a macbook pro on an iMac for example.

It "probably" is OK to do, assuming those Macs are all compatible with that version of OS X. I've used a bootable image on a thumb drive in the past between multiple Macs and had no issues. You would need to do this with a proper image using the installer from the App Store, not off a factory install of OS X on a new Mac because it'd be lacking the drivers for any other Mac but what it came on.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It "probably" is OK to do, assuming those Macs are all compatible with that version of OS X. I've used a bootable image on a thumb drive in the past between multiple Macs and had no issues. You would need to do this with a proper image using the installer from the App Store, not off a factory install of OS X on a new Mac because it'd be lacking the drivers for any other Mac but what it came on.

G'day and welcome to the forums.
What iMac and what operating system? Suggest far better to use the OS X Installer direct on the iMac. Drivves for the iMac my not have been included on the setup for a MBP.

I've got a bootable usb installer on a USB 3 drive and thats fine, I was just hoping I could directly image a computer via thunderbolt and target disk mode rather than going through the installation process on each of the computers and setting up identical applications for all of them.
I didnt think you could but thought it was worth a shot.
I should just stop being lazy and do it the proper way, thanks guys :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've got a bootable usb installer on a USB 3 drive and thats fine, I was just hoping I could directly image a computer via thunderbolt and target disk mode rather than going through the installation process on each of the computers and setting up identical applications for all of them.
I didnt think you could but thought it was worth a shot.
I should just stop being lazy and do it the proper way, thanks guys :D

You seem to have misunderstood my post. I said it's "probably" OK to do that based on my very limited experience. You just need to make sure the image was made from a full retail copy of OS X to ensure all drivers for all compatible Macs are present.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You seem to have misunderstood my post. I said it's "probably" OK to do that based on my very limited experience. You just need to make sure the image was made from a full retail copy of OS X to ensure all drivers for all compatible Macs are present.

My apologies.
Well I'll give it a shot and see how it goes, and report back with my findings :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.