Newb here! Some question!

2000blasterboy

Well i had an ibook g3 500, traded it for a windows laptop, i killed it, and now i have a ****ty desk top, well the desktop is kicking the bucket (everything is old and frying lol) So i deicded to go back to mac, my frist computer ever was a powerpc, and i loved it lol. Anyways, i bought an Ibook G3 800 with combo drive, panther, and other then that stock 128meg ram ect. Well its mint (witht he exception of the missing foot screw and 2 missing feet i guess, tho i havent gotten it yet, this week hopefully!) lol box and software, bought it for $475 shipped, think that was a good deal? I will be getting a 512 ram chip, and an airport card for it soon. I am a student, and like to play the occasional game, and surf the web, and do a little video editing. Ok now i got some questions, I have an ipod video, will i be able to just plug it in and not worry about it, or am i going to have to format it ect? Arent they mulit format? Whats a good office program thats cheap for a Ibook? I have seen openoffice, and i have used it on my old linux box, and thts free, but is microsoft office student and teacher edition anygood? Anyidea on what action games i can put on it? Sorry for all the questions, just excited about making the switch back to mac!
Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
congrats on the switch back.
in regards to the office suite, i'd just go get microsoft office student/teacher edition. i have it on my ibook and it works just as you'd expect it to. it's kind of one of those necessary evils ;)
regarding games; all i've got on mine is diablo II, warcraft III, and return to castle wolfenstein. i may go check out games tomorrow....

OP

2000blasterboy

Ok thanks, yeah i was figureing office student edition... i like what office has to offer and i am VERY comforitable with it, and it would be able to work with the windows computers at school, sense its the same format...And do you know where i can buy games online? There are no apple stores around where i live so...Also some more questions, Best place to buy a 512 chip of ram from? Airport card, best place? How about a dvd+/-Rw drive external i guess, anyone know one that works on a ibook?
Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
for games i'd say amazon, or even the apple store. i don't buy to many games so i'm guessing prices are pretty much the same elsewhere. maybe try ebay? for ram i'd say check a few check the 'for sale/trade' sections here and other apple/mac forums. i've seen a few people selling 512 sticks. otherwise if you want new i'd just go with newegg. for an airport i'd again check the 'for sale/trade' sections; if not my best guess and suggestion would be to buy it from apple directly. external dvd+/- rw drives; lacie seems to be pretty popular but they can be a little pricey; i guess it all has to do with your budget.

OP

2000blasterboy

thanks alot! Airport cards seem to go for alot on ebay for some reasion, and the ram goes for over $120 on ebay and i think i could find it cheaper elseware and lacie is the only drive i have found that is apple compatable... I am going to use the for sale/trade forum here i guess, i see someone selling office student for $50 and i think thats a good price...
Ben

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.