anyone install a ssd to the pcie slot in the 21.5 imac?

Reaction score
just ordered one myself. the 2.9ghz model with 16gb of ram + wired apple mouse and full size wired keyboard. opted out of the fusion drive because i want my ssd and hard drive to be split into 2 separate volumes. i just want to use the ssd dedicated as the boot drive while keep the hard drive for cold storage. i know i could use a external for that but i like keeping it internally, safely, and not clutter my desk with more random stuff.

just wondering if anyone has been able to add a ssd to the pcie slot on their 21.5 inch imac? if so, which one? i was looking to see if angelbird had any since they offer ones with native trim support but don't. and when i checkout owc they only list standard sata 2.5in ssd's for the imacs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Firstly: are you aware of just how difficult it is to get into these iMacs to put the drive in it? These suckers are sealed up.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2805+Hard+Drive+Replacement/27886

Secondly, even if you order an iMac with a Fusion drive, I believe you can optionally use the SSD and HDD as separate volumes. In fact, I know you can.
How to Delete Your Mac's Fusion Drive

Thirdly, no one that I'm aware of is making replacement SSDs that go into the PCIe slot on these more recent Macs.

OP
O
Reaction score
oh wow, thanks lifeisabeach. think i'll cancel my order and reorder it again with a fusion drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And give fusion drives a miss also. Just do a Google.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.