iTunes folders

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
If I go into my music in finder, there are all my music folders, and an itunes folder, containing all my music folders again, and an itunes folder, containing the same files one more time, sorted by tagged artist...

Am I missing something essential here or why does iTunes think it needs to waste my harddrive space with multiple copies of the same files over and over again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
The other folder just uses aliases, it's not really taking up double the harddrive space. One is your actual music and one is a folder system that iTunes uses to keep track of what artists did what album and what song...etc.

OP
Kar98
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
surfwax95 said:
The other folder just uses aliases, it's not really taking up double the harddrive space.

Are you sure? I had 48GB free space before I started iTunes, and 36 after, with around 12 GB worth of music already copied to my drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Well, I can't be sure for your computer, but my iTunes Music folder is 8GB, but my other iTunes music folder is 5MB.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you coping your music to your Mac then adding it to iTunes? If so, it WILL duplicate it and put a copy inside the user/music/itunes folder unless you turn that option off.

Open Preferences in iTunes and go to the Advanced Tab. Uncheck "Copy Files to iTunes Music Folder" and it will leave them where you first put them on the Hard Drive and just add them into iTunes.

Hope that helps you.

OP
Kar98
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis7 said:
Are you coping your music to your Mac then adding it to iTunes? If so, it WILL duplicate it and put a copy inside the user/music/itunes folder unless you turn that option off.

Open Preferences in iTunes and go to the Advanced Tab. Uncheck "Copy Files to iTunes Music Folder" and it will leave them where you first put them on the Hard Drive and just add them into iTunes.

Hope that helps you.

A HA! Yes, that was it. Thank you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Kar98 said:
A HA! Yes, that was it. Thank you.

Great! Glad I could help you.

OP
Kar98
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dtravis7 said:
Are you coping your music to your Mac then adding it to iTunes?

'Nuther stupid question: how else would I do it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
skip a step and just drag the files directly into itunes.. which would not be a good idea now since you unchecked the option to copy the files.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBookG4 said:
skip a step and just drag the files directly into itunes.. which would not be a good idea now since you unchecked the option to copy the files.

One can do that, but some people want their own folders their own way. On my PC's I have it that way as I am always working with my music and need it where I can get to it. On the Macs mostly I have just dropped it into iTunes and let it do it but still have that option unchecked in case I want to add some external folders on my external drives and not have iTunes dupe it all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.