Minimum system for running newer apps

Reaction score
I have an older mac desktop and have noticed that more and more programs are no longer compatible and able to run on my system- 10.6.3. The latest version of Evernote won't load and I can get Mac dictate because it needs a newer version. For most purposes my Mac is just fine, but since it appears I can't work with newer software or apps (looking to buy a used desktop) can anyone suggest the most necessary upgrade version that will be compatible without buying a brand new machine. Thanks for any suggestions or help here!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to give us the specs on your Mac before we can tell you whether or not you can upgrade the operating system. Year and model of your Mac and how much memory does it have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Why are you looking for newer updates applications when your own OS X 10.6.3 is already several versions behind and should be 10.6.8 if you run them all using Software Update.

But you may be better off by downloading the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 first:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?locale=en_CA

Even having that update installed can make a difference on what your Mac can run.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an older mac desktop and have noticed that more and more programs are no longer compatible and able to run on my system- 10.6.3.

Next time you "notice" this sort of thing…also "notice" what the min. OS version is for that app. Then you will have an answer to your question.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.