Would someone please explain the best way to manage photos?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPod, iPad, and Mac user at work and home
iPhoto automatically downloads photos from my devices. I know this because when I try to download these same photos, it asks if I want to have duplicates (or something like that). Are the automatically downloaded photos at the same resolution as they are in the devices? If not, shouldn't I make those copies? Should I switch to the iCloud drive? As you see, I know nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
What devices are you having your photos show up on? What version of OS X and/or iOS are you using?

If the photos are moving on one device to another they will be the same size and resolution on both. If you are connecting say an iPhone to a Mac - iPhone will open and ask if you want to upload to your computer.

You can set up iPhoto - now called just Photo - to upload all your photos and share them with your devices or with others. You can also log into your iCloud account online and set up Photo that way.

If your photos are important and you want to back them up then iCloud is easy and automatic. You get 5GB free and can purchase more storage if you need it.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have just upgraded my iCloud storage to 200GB $4.99 AUD/mth.

The good thing with this, is, I don't have to connect my iPhone/iPad with my Mac anymore, because I have all my photos in the Cloud, and I also have all my files in the cloud.

Now having them in the Cloud, you can either store the full resolution on your Mac, OR in the cloud and have them there to download the full resolution to any device or Mac you want them on.
If you do go the cloud route, then your are in essence giving yourself a backup as well.

Reaction score
It's early days, but I think folks like the original poster are going to enjoy the convenience of iCloud Photo Library. I just paid for iCloud storage room and turned it on yesterday. So far so good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.