Folder/File Name "Truncation" or "Wrapping"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have been trying to find a solution for a very very long time on how to have the longer names of my folders and files to drop down to a 2nd line when viewing in the "Grid" Icon view in the My Finder window.

In Leopard 10.5 by default you are able to see long folder/file names drop down to a 2nd line, but I can't find a setting to replicate this action in any other OSX after that one. It makes it harder to see a folder/file name when it is truncated or non-wrapped.

So as an example; Williams Grand Prix Engineering Limited looks like Williams...ted as a folder title and I would much rather prefer to have it look like the old style;

Williams Grand Prix
Engineering Limited

Is there a setting somewhere or a terminal command in Snow Leopard where I can make this change? I have tried to explain to Apple Care multiple times, but they were stupid enough to not even know what the word truncate meant after I explained it and "wrapping" thoroughly.

Also, please do not suggest the use of just the other List views in My Finder, my inquiry is for the Icon view only as this is the only view which I use. It is such an important feature for me that it is pushing me to go back to Leopard 10.5 just to have that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You don't say what other OS X version you want to use to see a different view, but it shouldn't matter as it's pretty consistent in all later versions:

When in the Finder open folder view, open the folder and then: View -> Show View Options and you should be able to change and set everything to get just want you want with the various sizes and text size etc.

OP
G
Reaction score
it is for Snow Leopard to match the style listing with Leopard. I'm actually very intuitive and know OSX very well, so using just Show View Options will not work, this fix requires a Terminal command which I don't know of. This isn't an overlooked quick fix of any kind, it would require a coded line command to fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gheese…, I guess as you're so "very intuitive and know OSX very well" and know that Terminal will be required, be my guest to figure it out. Good luck. ;)

OP
G
Reaction score
well, you give me a simple fix that doesn't even work, like I don't know what I'm talking about. wouldn't I have tried all the regular avenues to try and fix it myself first but as I've realized it requires a code line to change it. anyone else with something more constructive to add please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And you didn't mention that you didn't want such a suggestion either, but it looks like you don't like or won't accept some other answers you got from some other posters for the same question you keep asking…:
Folder/File Name "Truncation" - MacRumors Forums

I was thinking of suggesting some mods for some plist files but you'd know how to do that I'm sure and that would be so simple and an insult to even mention. So sorry….

OP
G
Reaction score
yeah, and I copied and pasted the exact same question into 5+ other Apple forums, so what does that matter and what is the problem there Sherlock Holmes? lol and it's not that I "don't like or won't accept" user's suggestions, its that all previous suggestions do not work! so I am back to square one asking the same question again until someone gets it right and gives me some sound advice. So why is that a crime and why are you taking offense to that?

The other suggestions from 2 other users cured the problem in Mavericks only, not in Snow Leopard which I am looking for. I'm not against anyone making suggestions, I'm open-minded, I'm the one whom is looking for the advice right, so why wouldn't I listen to anyone...it just has to be for Snow Leopard only.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This thread has devolved to the point where it's no longer going to serve any purpose except to toss insults back and forth. Therefore it's closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.