Just got my new, first mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
After a month of lurking on this forum I finally picked up a 20 inch iMac core duo. Ive literally been on it for just 10 minutes. One question in particular...how do I maximize the Safari window so it takes up the screen? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz
Welcome to M-F. Nice mac You got there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Drag the bottom right of the window until it fills up the screen. Macs are more oriented towards multiple open windows, so "maximize" isn't an option on the windows of Mac apps. It's something you will soon forget about, seeing as how a full screen window destroys screen real-estate. Plus Expose helps with multiple open windows.

View this thread for some more info.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
Another question. I have my old computer files on my ipod. When I plug the iMac in the Macintosh HD comes up on the desktop. Under hard disk mode, how can I get my files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could you clarify a little? I'm a little confused by "I plug my iMac in the Mac HD"...

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
I meant when I plug my iPod in sorry guys. Basically I cant find out how to open the ipod in hard disk mode, and its not showing up in itunes.
Also, is there any way to make the font on safari and aim larger?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
Ok I got the safari text larger. On aim, how do I make IM font bigger, not just mine but the whole IM? Itunes is still not detecting the ipod.

Reaction score
You need to chnage iTunes to Mac Mode by going on settings (i think) and which IM are you using, whichever one it should be under settings...

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
Thanks. I think Im probably the biggest n00b on a mac. Its really weird to me. Was it like this to anyone else?

Reaction score
When I first got one I didnt get it but after an hour or so I was loving it, just keep on mucking about and you will find things out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not for me, I've never owned a Windoze box and hope I don't have to. Ever.

I think what Digg was trying to say was that you need to turn iPod Disk mode on in iTunes. Open iTunes with your iPod connected. On the very bottom right of iTunes you'll see a tiny iPod icon. Click it. iTunes' preferences will come up. On the bottom of this window you should see "Use iPod as disk". (or something similar) Check that, eject your iPod, then plug it back in. It should mount on your desktop like a drive. Then you should be able to get at the files you're looking for. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Easier way to get your iPod files onto your Hard Drive: There are plenty of files. Or, if you really don't wanna do that, I'm pretty sure you have to uninstall iTunes and then open up hidden folders, and the files should be there. How to open up hidden folders on a mac I have no clue, but that's how you do it on Windoze.

Oh, and congratulations on your new iMac (I have the 17" Core Duo a month ago, so I know the feeling of a new iMac). Just toy around with it for a few hours and you'll get the hang of it.

btw you're not the biggest n00b. Everyone was at the stage you are at now at one time or another.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
does anyone else have problems with the mouse speed? i turned the tracking speed all the way up and its fast but when youre trying to move the arrow towards something precisely its super slow. and the ipod is not showing up at all, not even in the library of itunes, but it may be the ipod.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Which iPod is it? How is it formatted? How are you connecting it to your Mac? Firewire? USB2?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
Firewire, 4g 40 gig ipod. I dont know if its formatted. Whenever I try to turn it on an icon of a folder comes up. The mouse thing is really bugging me. Say if I wanted to click the red dot to close the window, if I move the arrow in the proximity of the red dot then try to move it the rest of the way to the red dot it moves really slow.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
Shoot...I have all of my fried sony computer's files on it. So now all of my files are gone...

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch iMac Core Duo
Is there any way to permanently set the Safari text larger? It always reverts back to small text when I open a new window.

T

Tiranis

Go to Safari > Preferences and choose the tab that says "Advanced". Once you're there, check "Never use font sizes smalller than ..." and choose whatever size you want (in pixels).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.