Who is pre-Ordering the Watch or buying one on the day ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Im putting this here, because you need a iPhone to use the Watch, so I think its appropriate.
But its only 3 hrs away from Pre-Orders in the US and 5hrs in Aust, so who is pre-ordering or going to buy one ??

I would absolutely love to have a Watch, as I use to wear watches all the time, and even backed the Ferro Watch on Kickstarter, that looks like a Tacho in a car, but I really can't justify, buying a v.1 Watch, when they charge you $600+ just for the **expletive** band :(

So are you ?? Do you know anyone that is ?? Will you sneak one past the CC Company and say ill pay it back later ?? lol
Im personally going to wait until next year and see where it goes from there. Will they keep the same design and offer hardware upgrades via the Apple Stores ?/ Take the guts out and put in a new v.2 ?? We will see . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I am old school and I have always worn a watch. I feel naked with out one - and at my age that is not a pretty picture. ;)

I plan to wait for version one to go through the shake out. But version two I will definitely be on my Christmas list.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'll stick with my Timex for the time being Brent. "Takes a licking and keeps on ticking." :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The reviews have been pretty much "meh" and I see little point for my personal needs/interests. Even if I was interested, version 1 products from Apple tend to need a bit of refinement.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Being a painter and not caring for paint spatters on my watches nor a sweat band on my wrist in the summer which is most of the year in San Antone - gave up on wrist watches and used pocket watches most of my life. After getting the first iPhone, didn't see much diff between pulling the phone out of my pocket or pulling a watch out of my pocket - so sans watch it became. Not going to start wearing one now.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The reviews have been pretty much "meh" and I see little point for my personal needs/interests.
I was thinking the same thing. There appears to be a collective ambivalence about it. I think The Verge summed it up nicely - it's a nice piece of kit but there's no point to it (especially at that price point).

From where I sit, it (and by "it", I really mean all smartwatches) solves a problem that it has poorly manufactured. It is meant to make digital communications easier but exacerbates it (The Verge video review covers this point nicely). And honestly, people don't need to be wedded to technology any more than they are right now.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The biggest complaint I'm seeing from the bulk of the reviews right now seems to be the battery life. Most people are suggesting that the watch has to be charged every night. I, personally, don't see that as a huge problem since we are already charging out phones overnight anyway..

Like everything else, the early adopters will scoop up the limited supply of the Apple Watches quickly and people will find uses for buying one.

The thing that's holding me back primarily is the sticker shock of a price. I think at about 50% of the current cost, this becomes an, almost, no brainer to me..but at the current cost, gotta think about it..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I, personally, don't see that as a huge problem since we are already charging out phones overnight anyway..
Yeah, I haven't quite understood that critique either. What does it matter if you have to charge it while you're sleeping?

The thing that's holding me back primarily is the sticker shock of a price. I think at about 50% of the current cost, this becomes an, almost, no brainer to me..but at the current cost, gotta think about it..
The sticker shock is worse if you have to think about what it offers you (which once again comes back to the collective "it's nice but why have one?" conclusion of many of the reviews).

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I've ordered one (you might have guessed that from other threads). On day 1 it will be an expensive toy, just like my iPad 1 was. But that rapidly became indispensable. There's only one way to find out what owning a watch will be like for you and I'm in the fortunate position that I can afford to try one.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The iPad 1 to me (I got one the first month) was a very useful device that made book reading and portability for most things I did on computers very easy without having to lug along a heavy Notebook computer!

The watch to me is a whole different ball game as with that small screen, I would not be able to enjoy what I could with the iPad 1. My iPad 1 still works, it's just too bad Apple crippled it with the old IOS5 when I know for a fact it will run IOS6 fine. Oh well!

I hope this post makes sense as I am still 1/2 asleep! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
No thanks, I'll keep my Tag.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Its amazing of how little stock Apple really have of this thing. I checked the US Store 2 hrs after the release of the Pre-Orders, and most (including the $10k+ Gold Watches) went from available on the 24th, to not ready to ship until July.
I did the same the world over, ending with Australia, and the same thing, happened, after only a couple of hours, I got not available to ship until July :(

Not that I was ordering one, but still, I HATE this about Apple, their supply and demand strategy, stinks to high heaven.
I will say again, I'm stuck on the price of just the watch bands, some coming in at over $500AUD, is just stupidly ridiculous.

If I do buy one down the track, ill be going through one of the online shops that I can get it sent to a US address then sent to my home address, because the watch I would like, there is a $300 discrepancy in buying in the Australia Store and the US with converting AUD to USD . . .

Still, I don't have a need for one at the moment.

On the battery issue, I can see what some people are on about, because not everyone, works a 8hr day. If I was doing my old job, I would be working a 18hr day, with about 4 hrs sleep a night. There then would be no way for me to utilise the watch to its full potential. I don't doubt though, that Apple will be working hard on this problem.

I personally would see how I could make a nice case, that IS the battery ?!?!? hmmmm

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.