Problem using my Maps App on iPhone 6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
Need help using my iPhone Maps apps. I programmed my destination, started down the route, she told me where to turn, and everything was going smoothly..........until we got to a highway intersection where she wanted me to turn right but I chose to go straight because I wanted to take a different route.

After that she quit talking to me, and I could see 'Recalculating' on the screen. When I finally reached a place where I could stop and look at the screen, I saw the message “Data Connection Required”. I had just assumed that I was using cellular service after I got out of range of my Wi-Fi. So what did this message mean? What do you think my problem was, and what caused it?

Thank you in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The last time you replied during one of our threads, you stated that cellular was turned off. Have you since turned it on? Without cellular data incoming - outgoing, GPS is not going to work nor is your iMessages app.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
The last time you replied during one of our threads, you stated that cellular was turned off. Have you since turned it on? Without cellular data incoming - outgoing, GPS is not going to work nor is your iMessages app.

No, cellular was still turned off. I thought about that, but then I reasoned that my SMARTphone would switch to cellular when wifi was no longer available. But tooling down the highway, I couldn't have seen the cellular icon even if it had been on my screen.

Lucky for me, I have another short trip planned tomorrow, so I will remember to turn it on.

Thanks again for your sage advice.........

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Your phone won't turn on data if its off because it needs it - this would defeat the purpose of an off switch. So, if you need to use data (whenever), make sure to have it enabled.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your phone won't turn on data if its off because it needs it - this would defeat the purpose of an off switch. So, if you need to use data (whenever), make sure to have it enabled.

All is well in Cellular Data land. I took another short trip today, remembered to enable Cellular on, and everything worked as advertised.

Thanks for your response.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What happened to me yesterday was finally explained to me. At home when I set up my trip using wifi, the trip was cached on my iPhone between the start and destination points. Then when I left this pre-planned route, the turn by turn directions stopped because there was no more cached maps and I didn't have Cellular turned on.

Thanks to all who responded......

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.