Made A Decision

C

caveatipss

Well, I have decided to go ahead and get a Mini with the highest specs, instead of waiting for an iMac. The reasons are:

1. I would have to wait at least 6 months for the iMac, and my last remaining, struggling PC will not last that long.

2. I can still save up and get an iMac later anyway if I realy want to.

3. Except for the onboard graphics, the Mini's specs are actually very good.

4. I have deadlines on books and screenplays, and I cannot continue to type on this laptop with its missing keys lol.

5. I already have a great 22" CRT monitor, which is bigger than the largest iMac monitor at 20".

6. This forum is getting me all excited and I want a Mac now! lol

What do you think?

OP
L

lil

If you are ready,go for it, I'msure you will find with the Mini a robust and solid Mac, and I agree, the core dual new Minis sound great in specs; and I am sure it will be perfect for what you want.

Besides, writing books and screenplays sounds like a lot of fun! :flower:

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
caveatipss said:
Is the Applecare thing worth it?

long story short: yes
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
long story long: The mini is a small system, and there is alot of chance for damage by dropping it, or something heavy dropping on it, etc. There is also the possibility of the product being defective (not a common thing but does happen) also possibility of a number of things going wrong in the future (heat damage, hard drive failure, logic board failure, etc.) any one of these things occurs then the apple care will pay for itself, if nothing happens to the system then at-least you are not worrying about your system and can worry about the work you have to do on it. Other things that you get with apple care are phone support, this will be important to you incase something happens to your system, and being a switcher you don't know what it is, or how do identify it. This will especially be helpful if your internet is down and can not get to the forums to ask a question.

So to shorten the story and to say what coach_z said : yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Congratulations! I hope you're happy with it, I guarantee it will be better than any Windows machine you've used.

Again, short story to AppleCare: Yes.

Also, if you have a 22 inch monitor, you might want to consider saving up after this mini for a Powermac down the road-they're wicked awesome and have a LOT of power, just like their title suggests.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
PowerBookG4, I don't know if you're aware, but damages incurred by the user (Aside from normal wear and tear) aren't covered by AppleCare (hence the huge dent in my PowerBook).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
to_tough_to_die said:
PowerBookG4, I don't know if you're aware, but damages incurred by the user (Aside from normal wear and tear) aren't covered by AppleCare (hence the huge dent in my PowerBook).

Oh, then I guess some people just get lucky, I have damaged my computer by my own fault and came right out and said it to the apple people, they fixed it no problem and free, that was on my powerbook which has apple care, not pro care which my powermac has. (I honestly have not used pro care so I don't know what it does)

OP
C

caveatipss

Ok, what exactly is iLife? I want a serious Office suite...is there another Mac program I need? Also, does OpenOffice (which I love) work on Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
PowerBookG4 said:
long story long: The mini is a small system, and there is alot of chance for damage by dropping it, or something heavy dropping on it, etc. There is also the possibility of the product being defective (not a common thing but does happen) also possibility of a number of things going wrong in the future (heat damage, hard drive failure, logic board failure, etc.) any one of these things occurs then the apple care will pay for itself, if nothing happens to the system then at-least you are not worrying about your system and can worry about the work you have to do on it. Other things that you get with apple care are phone support, this will be important to you incase something happens to your system, and being a switcher you don't know what it is, or how do identify it. This will especially be helpful if your internet is down and can not get to the forums to ask a question.

So to shorten the story and to say what coach_z said : yes.

lol man, we should make our two posts into the 'should i get applecare FAQ' (after editing the the user damages)

Tiranis said:
And, please, use Google and don't post every question on a forum. We could spend all day (and night) discussing various things which were either previously discussed or are published somewhere.

dont listen to this completely. you can use our search function on the forums to find a lot of the information in this thread. no one seemed to mind answering except for tiranis who could have easily just skipped over the thread but took the time to post. i say search, then askthere might be some further clarification that you need.
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5- 1.8Ghz - 1GB of Ram - AND - 17" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac - 2Ghz - 1GB of Ram
:mac:I'm not an expert mac user by any means, but I just thought I would place my 2 cents in by saying congrats on the new mini, and that macs are PHENOMENAL machines!!! :mac:

OP
T

Tiranis

coach_z said:
dont listen to this completely. you can use our search function on the forums to find a lot of the information in this thread. no one seemed to mind answering except for tiranis who could have easily just skipped over the thread but took the time to post. i say search, then askthere might be some further clarification that you need.
-chris

Jeez... so I shouldn't have posted, eh? If you look at my post, I answered all of his questions (so I obviously didn't mind answering) and asked him to next time use search function [google or this forum's doesn't really matter], because, honestly, we could be here whole day discussing the same things over and over. Seriously, do we have to repeat for millionth time what iLife is when there's an Apple page dedicated to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
Tiranis said:
Jeez... so I shouldn't have posted, eh? If you look at my post, I answered all of his questions (so I obviously didn't mind answering) and asked him to next time use search function [google or this forum's doesn't really matter], because, honestly, we could be here whole day discussing the same things over and over.

well then what's the point of HAVING THIS FORUM?!?!?! If you don't wanna answer questions all day, then don't FRICKIN' COME HERE! That's the point of this section... SWITCHER Hangout? COME ON HERE! I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS! (good movie... heheh)

okay back on track... iLife is just a bunch of programs... iTunes, Quicktime, iPhoto, iWeb, GarageBand, iDVD, iMovie, and iThink that's it (yeah lame joke there...)

AppleCare... just don't tell them it's user-incurred... unless it's blatantly obvious... When I bought my iMac, they said "For example, if you spilled water on your iMac, don't tell us you spilled water on it..." (funny thing is, the reason my old iPod U2 edition broke was because it was in my pocket when one of my friends threw me in a pool... i died of laughter in the Apple Store when the salesperson said this)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.