thunderbolt monitor to hdmi conversion

Reaction score
hello - i wish to unplug a big beautiful apple desktop thunderbolt monitor from a mac-mini and instead plug it into another computer using the hdmi video out port. is this even technically possible using the thunderbolt connection?

i have not looked if the apple desktop monitor has another input port since its in another state and i cant get near the monitor to figure out which model number it is, except i know its a 27 inch.

(this is for my technically-challenged mother, so please dont ask why i am doing this....)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know if it's possible or not with the TB displays.

You also have it backwards, with audio/video connections it is always output device "to" input device.
In this case it would be "HDMI to TB".

You would need a converter, something like this plus the HDMI cable and a displayport to mini displayport cable.
That's a whole lot of things to go wrong there and no way to test anything unless you have 2 of each.

By the time you've bought all that just to see if it will work, you can buy a new 1080p 27-32" monitor to connect up to that Windows machine, DVD player, etc...she wants to use.

edit:
I would have "assumed" that a HDMI to displayport would work - key word being "assume".
I have no clue if the TB cable carries the video on the same connection pins at that TB monitor as a mini displayport cable or not.
You could try on the cheap a "passive" displayport or mini displayport to HDMI adapter.
I am pretty sure they will be one way only, but have never tried it.
If it did, I don't think Startech would have gone to the trouble of coming out with that converter.
Def do not try an "active" adapter - they will be one way only for sure.
FYI: I was really surprised to find anyone reputable had such a converter.

Last edited:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I did find something at monoprice on one of their HDMI to displayport cables that did say it is one way only and would not work in reverse. If theirs only works one direction, I would have to guess all the other passive adapters out there would be one direction only also.

edit:
From what I've been able to find thus far, even a displayport output will not work on the TB monitor.
Which means that converter above would not work either.
Looks like the TB monitor requires a TB port.

Last edited:
OP
Mark Edwards
Reaction score
thank you bobtomay - i suspected as much.

quick update: for years i had my aging mother on a m$ 'puter, but she kept finding the most creative and imaginative ways to break it. it also caused her the greatest anxiety when any OS updates took place. so a year ago i moved her to a mini-mac, hoping she would not be so creative in her efforts to destroy operating systems.

the min-mac OS has proven to be "mom proof", however, the semi-yearly updates have proven to be too much for her poor old elderly heart to bear. imagine, walking in and not being allowed to use a computer because its in some sort of "update mode" - its discrimination against the elderly pure and simple, i tell you.

also, tim cook is apparently sneaking into her house in the middle of the night and installing toolbars into her browser, since she has assured me that she is not the one installing all those unauthorized toolbars.

so, the next stop on the old-people technology train is going to be a chromebox. (chromebase monitors are too small for elderly eyes. if she somehow manages to break that, she goes back to the abacus.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.