Is There a Better GPS Apps than Maps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
For the iPhone 6, is there a better app for GPS routing than the standard Maps app? Even if it's not a free app, I would be interested.

Thanks in advance.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What are you looking for in this app? If you're simply looking for navigation, Google Maps or HERE Maps might work for you.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
What are you looking for in this app? If you're simply looking for navigation, Google Maps or HERE Maps might work for you.

Thanks for the response. I already had Google Maps, so I went ahead and downloaded HERE. I also downloaded AT&T Navigation. There were just so many choices. I was surprised that Garmin didn't have an app, even if it was $$.

Basic navigation is all I'm looking for. I don't need traffic updates or weather alerts, and I no longer drive in the big cities.

Regards....

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, there are many. Look in the App Store, enter GPS and be amazed!

Yea, I was amazed, and I downloaded a couple (HERE and AT&T Navigation). I already had the basic Maps app and Google Maps.

I noticed you live in Winchester. Before I retired to Arkansas 18 years ago, I lived in Centreville, east of you on 66, and I worked in Falls Church, VA. I often road to/thru Winchester on my motorcycle, as I loved getting out of town in a westerly direction. It's a beautiful area, and they had a nice Harley shop back then.:Cool:

Regards....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, High Sierra; iPad 3rd Gen, 32 GB, iOS 9; iPhone 5E, 64 GB, iOS 11
I was surprised that Garmin didn't have an app, even if it was $$.

"Garmin U.S.A", "Garmin N. America", are in the App Store. "Garmin U.S.A" is $49.95. If you like TomTom, there is "TomTom U.S.A at half the price of Garmin but not rated as high as Garmin.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Garmin U.S.A", "Garmin N. America", are in the App Store. "Garmin U.S.A" is $49.95. If you like TomTom, there is "TomTom U.S.A at half the price of Garmin but not rated as high as Garmin.

Thanks, I missed that. I guess I got dizzy looking at all the available GPS apps. I did see the TomTom @ $29.95, but I'm a Garmin guy.

Do you know if you can use the Garmin Basecamp program on your PC to plan your route and then download it to the iPhone 6? That's the way I do most of my trips using my Garmin nuvii GPS unit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.