jiggling mouse no longer wakes computer

PJS

Reaction score
I restarted my computer last night, and now it no longer wakes up immediately when I jiggle the mouse. How could restarting have affected this? Now I either have to press the power switch or, if I jiggle the mouse, it takes about a minute for the screen to come on. Weird.

Anyone have any idea what this happened and how I can fix it? (I'm using OSX 10.8.5 with Mountain Lion, if that matters.)

Thanks!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
You don't say what kind of Mac you have, so my comments may not help. Anyway, I have an iMac and this current one is my third. I've never reliably awoken any of them via the Mouse—though I must stress that my Mouse is wireless. I always use the space bar. Slight correction: way back in 2008, I did have a wired mouse (just remembered) and I think it did reawaken the iMac.

If your Mac is a laptop, then things may be different. I've never owned one. Why your Mouse changed its behaviour, I cannot say. Is using one of the other methods a big problem?

Ian

OP
P

PJS

Reaction score
Thanks, Ian. I can use the space bar to wake it up. I'm just wondering why restarting the computer (it's an iMac) would change the way the mouse (it's a wireless mouse) acts. Seems odd to me.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Truthfully, I don't know. I suppose you could, just once, shut the iMac down completely. Then shut off the power at the socket, then remove the power cable from the back of the iMac. Wait 15-20 minutes (have a cup of tea!). Then reconnect the cable, switch on the power and reboot. This process resets the SMC. It will do not a jot of harm and maybe, just maybe, restore things as before.

Otherwise, like me, use the space bar. As I said in my first post, with wireless Mouse(s), I've never got it to reliably start the iMac from sleep.

If you do decide to follow the above, post back. I'd be interested to know the result.

Sorry not to be more helpful.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Same issue, moving/waving the mouse about does little or nothing - but L-clicking it does! Space bar is, essentially, infallible, but I am wary of that, preferring the Shift key.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Did you try changing the batteries. Also most current "mice" have a power saving feature which switches the laser off after a time, so first you have to wakeup the mouse before it will send a message to the computer. When the batteries get low that process takes a little longer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina iMac Late 2014, 4GHz I7, 4GB graphics, 16GB Ram, iPhone 5S, 17" Dell Laptop
I always press the esc button to wake myself up

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.