10.4.5 desktop icons disappearing until all applications are closed??

F

fuzzyslug7

I was wondering if anyone could help me with icons that disappear on my desktop under Mac 10.4.5. The only way to get them back is by closing all open applications then my icons will re-appear. The applications that are usually open when this occurs are either entourage, netscape, NAV or onyX. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Seems like Finder is crashing on you.

Repair permissions first by going into Disk Utility, selecting your HD, and clicking Repair Permissions.

Then, do a restart. See if it continues happening and if it does post again. :mac:

OP
F

fuzzyslug7

Thank you for the reply but I have already tried that to no avail. I have run the repair permissions while while running 10.4.5 and while booted from the disk. I have also used a utility called disk warrior as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, there goes the "easy" fix...

hmmm

Just to confirm my suspicion that it is Finder crashing...when the icons disappear can you still open a Finder window?

Does the problem only happen with those programs open, or just more frequently?

OP
F

fuzzyslug7

Unfortunately no... I get a border around my desktop area an cannot access anything except for my dock and the bar running along the top (I'm still relatively new to Mac btw). My network drives connections temporarily disappear and once I close all open applications then everything reappears. Thanks for all of your assistance btw.. it is much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a problem, beats working! :)

Hit F11 on your keyboard and see if it causes the "border" you're talking about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
you could do the other "easy" option... back up all your data and reinstall tiger.

Do you have an Intel Mac? because I'm pretty sure 10.4.5 was designed for Intel Macs. If you don't, there's your answer.

But if you do try wiping your hard drive clean and reinstalling os x tiger.

OP
F

fuzzyslug7

No, don't have an ""Intellitosh" here. I'm using a G4 and the installation of Tiger is rather recent. I personally view this as more of an annoyance and not a critical error so I probably won't wipe out my installation (although I guess it really doesn't take that long to address). I appreciate everyones' input and if you should run across a thread of a user with a similar issue if you could direct me there it would be very helpful. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Create a new user and see if the problem follows the user. If yes it may be a preference problem. Move your ~/Library/Preferences (in your ~ means home directory) to a temp location. Then reboot.

Also try booting with the shift key pressed. (safe mode-esque)

OP
F

fuzzyslug7

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I fixed the problem using an app called "AppleJack 1.4.2" and haven't been getting any of the problems I mentioned above. I ran it from single user mode, ran all of the utils and no more icons disappearing. I just wish I knew what the app did specifically so I could try to fix this manually next time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd be curious to know what it was also...

AppleJack is a really cool program, glad it worked for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.