PSE and Illustrator for Yosemite

Reaction score
I am coming out of the dark ages!

I happily do my graphic design work for a local family publication using PSE6 and Illustrator 10 on my 2009 laptop. I decided to be proactive in case my old laptop decides to die soon and just purchased the new 2015 13"macbook pro running on Yosemite10.10.2

I would like to purchase PSE - what version do you recommend that works well on Yosemite?

I have no idea what to do about Illustrator?

I really only use PSE and Illustrator and need to be able to update old art files.

Any suggestions much appreciated. Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If its only family stuff then you will probably need to have a bang up to date subscription only version of Creative suite to run adobe software.

You could get away with a copy of CS6 (Creative suite 6) or CS 5 for a one off fee, which will run on Yosemite (I have it running) but that's still a pretty big cost

If you are willing to go away from Adobe then check out pixelemator, its a very fast alternative to Photoshop and works very much like it, you can just about install it and use it and almost think it is in fact Photoshop, it works differently in many ways but has most of the features, plus some extras it does well itself. It is also much more like Photoshop than Photoshop Elements, which is a different program altogether.

AS for illustrator you have 2 options, the free open source Inkscape, or iDraw, which at 25 dollars gives you a fully featured alternative to illustrator at a fraction of the cost

I am a full time professional user of Adobe Creative suite, but to be honest the above apps are catching up fast. If I didn't already own the Adobe Suite, then I would still be able to get my job done with the above software, and I am still keeping a keen eye on them as adobe software is getting reliable, but stale.

I do use pixelmator a lot, as it does 90% of what i need from Photoshop and launches in a fraction of the time

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.