My iPad Air Keyboard Won't Click

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
I went to Settings>Sounds>Keyboard Clicks, and everything is turned on. I can hear other sounds, just not my keyboard click.

Same settings on my iPhone, and I can hear the keyboard clicks just fine.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I went to Settings>Sounds>Keyboard Clicks, and everything is turned on. I can hear other sounds, just not my keyboard click.

Same settings on my iPhone, and I can hear the keyboard clicks just fine.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

If not already done, 'Restart' your iPad, and if not effective, then try a 'Reset' - let us know if the sounds return (directions below) - also I'm assuming that the on-screen KB is appearing and you are not paired to a BT keyboard? Dave :)

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom’) - iOS 7.x/8.x - find the offending app - then press and drag to the top of the screen - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
If not already done, 'Restart' your iPad, and if not effective, then try a 'Reset' - let us know if the sounds return (directions below) - also I'm assuming that the on-screen KB is appearing and you are not paired to a BT keyboard? Dave :)
No I'm not paired to a BT keyboard.

My problem was that the side switch adjacent to the volume buttons was in the off position. I'm not sure when/how that happened. But I turned it on and my keyboard is now clicking.

Thanks for your response.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
No I'm not paired to a BT keyboard.

My problem was that the side switch adjacent to the volume buttons was in the off position. I'm not sure when/how that happened. But I turned it on and my keyboard is now clicking.

Thanks for your response.

Yep, the 'ole' side switch - I was going to mentioned that as a possibility if your other sounds were also muted - a little weird but glad that you are back to a clicking KB! Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.