usb hub issue

Reaction score
I was given a HooToo 7 Port USB Hub HT-UH010 as a present.

When I have it connected to my Mac and when the Mac goes into “energy saving mode” the Mac acctually “shuts down” then have to re-start and enter my password etc…

It only does this when the HooToo is connected via USB to the back of my Mac, not when the HooToo is not connected.

Is there a known “conflict issue” between this product and Mac?

I am running OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.2

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Did you install anything on the Mac when you initially plugged this hub in or did it just start working? If the former, then perhaps there's a driver issue related to the hub.

If the latter, then it should work like other USB devices and draw only the allowed amount. If it is a powered hub, then it will get power of downstream devices independently of what the Mac is providing.

In this latter case, you are using the built-in USB drivers and they should behave properly..

Reaction score
There are tons of issues with energy saving mode and devices. Turn off ESM and see how it goes. Also thick USB cables are better than the thin ones.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi. No didn't install anything when I installed the USB hub it is a plug and play device. It also has it's own electrical plug so shouldn't draw anything from my Mac? I also don't know if my Mac has USB 2 or USB 3 outlets on the rear of it. My new HooToo USB hub is USB 3 and backwards compatible with USB 2 as well.

Will have a look at ESM setting as well and the connecting cable is the one that came with the device, looks pretty thick to me, but maybe its not right?

Have had a look at the connecting USB cable to my Mac and it has written on the cable " E301195 AWM Style 2725 80^c 30 volts VW-1 Super High Speed USB Revision 3.0" Don't know what any of that means but thats about it. Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I also don't know if my Mac has USB 2 or USB 3 outlets on the rear of it. My new HooToo USB hub is USB 3 and backwards compatible with USB 2 as well.

Well, if you told us which Mac you have (year and model) we could tell you if it sports USB 2 or 3 ports. However, I also have a USB 3 hub and my iMac has USB 3 output ports, but I found that the hub does not work properly when a USB 3 device is attached. It has no problem with USB 2 devices. Also, I do not like to use a powered hub as some powered hubs have been known to cause damage to a PC or Mac USB ports. My hub is passive.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi here are the details of my Mac'

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)
USB Hi-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built-in USB
Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI
PCI Device ID: 0x1c26
PCI Revision ID: 0x0005
PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086
Bus Number: 0xfd

Hub:

Product ID: 0x2514
Vendor ID: 0x0424 (SMSC)
Version: 0.03
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Location ID: 0xfd100000 / 2
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 2
Built-In: Yes

Hope this helps

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your iMac is equipped with USB 2 ports. USB 3 devices or a hub should be backward compatible but will perform at USB 2 speeds. My guess is that your hub is faulty and that's why your iMac is shutting down. Like I mentioned above, I do not use powered hubs since they can cause damage if they're faulty. I would not use that hub.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Besides the generally good reviews, it's interesting that some said:
"In response to a one-star review on Amazon, HooToo has confirmed that our recommendation isn’t compatible with the Mac Mini. …"
The Best USB 3.0 Hubs | The Wirecutter

"...4. Does not support iMAC mini. 2012 Mac Mini and 2012 MacBook Pro with Retina Display are currently not recommended for use with this product because the unstable performance…"
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FR795WA/?tag=macforums0e4-20

I don't know why those Macs would be affected and maybe the iMac is suffering the same.

Maybe try and check with the manufacturer…??? ;)

I have the same 2011 27" iMac and have always used powered USB hubs, but they're older USB 2.0 units if that makes any sense. I also use Mavericks 10.9.5 in case the later Yosemite has something to do with the problem as well. ;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like I mentioned above, I do use a hub once in awhile but avoid powered hubs. We have had several past threads about various powered hubs developing a fault and damaging the USB port on the machine. And once you damage the port on your Mac, it usually means a new logic board (and is not covered by Apple care).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
How can I update my USB 2 outlets to USB 3 on my IMac.

The only way that I know of is to buy a newer Mac that has and supports USB 3.0 ports.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well, thanks for your help and advice guys, looks like I might be selling a very new HooToo® HT-UH010 7-Port USB 3.0 HUB very soon as it seems not to like my Mac. Also if I can't upgrade my USB ports on the Mac to USB 3s, I will be going back to my USB 2 powered hub as that has worked well for years with no problems at all. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.